Help in evaluating the chain rule?

In summary, the conversation discusses various formulas and proofs related to polar coordinate systems and their derivatives. The first part focuses on proving the derivatives of a function u with respect to r and theta, while the second part focuses on proving the reverse, with u being a function of r and theta. The proof involves using the chain rule and the product rule, as well as understanding the relationships between the variables in polar coordinates.
hivesaeed4
$${x = r \cos \theta}$$,
$${y = r \sin \theta}$$, $${r^2 = x^2 + y^2}$$ and $${\theta = \tmop{ \arctan} (y / x)}$$ (with some caveats for the last formula).

Suppose $${u = u (x, y)}$$.

Show that

$${\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \cos \theta + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \sin \theta}$$

$${\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta} = - \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} r \sin \theta + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} r \cos \theta}$$

Now suppose that $${u = u (r, \theta)}$$. Show that

$${\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \cos \theta - \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta} \frac{\sin \theta}{r}}$$

$${\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \sin \theta + \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta} \frac{\cos \theta}{r}}$$

Now I've proved the italic part but am stuck on the bold parts basically how are they calculated. I've tried the same method as used in the italic part ut am getting different answers.
For e.g in the last bold part instead of cos(theta)/r I got (cos(theta))^2.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
hivesaeed4 said:
$${x = r \cos \theta}$$,
$${y = r \sin \theta}$$, $${r^2 = x^2 + y^2}$$ and $${\theta = \tmop{ \arctan} (y / x)}$$

Okay, I'll show the first one, do you know the chain rule?
(∂u/∂r) = (∂u/∂x)(∂x/∂r)+(∂u/∂y)(∂y/∂r)
(∂u/∂θ) = (∂u/∂x)(∂x/∂θ)+(∂u/∂y)(∂y/∂θ)
Okay, if you agree with that, then do you agree that:

(∂x/∂r) = cosθ and
(∂y/∂r) = sinθ and
(∂x/∂θ) = (apply product rule) = (∂r/∂θ)*(cosθ) + (r)(∂cosθ/∂θ) = -r*sin(θ)
because (∂r/∂θ)=0 and (∂cosθ/∂θ) = -sin(θ) (where here I applied the chain rule, "outside is cos() and "inside" is theta. Derivative of outside is sine and derivative of theta with respect to theta is 1.
(∂y/∂θ) = r*cos(θ), for similar reasons.

If you have any questions about this, let me know. Also, are you concerned about the proof of the chain rule because there are different levels of the proof depending on the level of mathematics you're at... let me guess, calculus 2 final next week?

I don't know how you did it, but your guess was spot on (regarding the cal-II final). Anyway I do need the proof let's say at a level expected for any cal-II student.

Now as far as the
(∂x/∂r) = cosθ and
(∂y/∂r) = sinθ and
(∂x/∂θ) = (apply product rule) = (∂r/∂θ)*(cosθ) + (r)(∂cosθ/∂θ) = -r*sin(θ)
because (∂r/∂θ)=0 and (∂cosθ/∂θ) = -sin(θ) (where here I applied the chain rule, "outside is cos() and "inside" is theta. Derivative of outside is sine and derivative of theta with respect to theta is 1.
(∂y/∂θ) = r*cos(θ), for similar reasons.

I apologize cause I stated the wrong part of the question. My bad.

The question is :

Now suppose that $${u = u (r, \theta)}$$. Show that

$${\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \cos \theta - \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta} \frac{\sin \theta}{r}}$$

$${\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \sin \theta + \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta} \frac{\cos \theta}{r}}$$

How do I prove these?

Related to Help in evaluating the chain rule?

1. What is the chain rule and why is it important in mathematics?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is important because many real-world problems involve functions that are composed of multiple functions, and the chain rule allows us to find the rate of change of these complex functions.

2. How do I know when to use the chain rule?

The chain rule is used when we have a function that is composed of two or more functions, and we need to find its derivative. Look for functions within functions, and if the variable is being raised to a power, multiplied, or divided by another function, then the chain rule will need to be applied.

3. Can you provide an example of how to apply the chain rule?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (2x+1)^3. To find the derivative, we would first identify the inner function, in this case, 2x+1. Then we would take the derivative of the inner function, which is 2. Next, we would multiply that by the derivative of the outer function, which is 3(2x+1)^2. So the derivative of f(x) would be 6(2x+1)^2.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using the chain rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the chain rule when the variable is raised to a power. Another mistake is not correctly identifying the inner and outer functions. It's important to carefully analyze the function to determine which parts need to be differentiated.

5. Is there a shortcut or easier way to use the chain rule?

Yes, there are several shortcuts and mnemonic devices that can help make the chain rule easier to remember and apply. One popular method is using the acronym "UDU" which stands for "u times the derivative of u." This can help you remember the order in which to apply the chain rule. Additionally, practicing with various examples and problems can help improve your understanding and speed in applying the chain rule.