Help in choosing Math Electives

• Thread starter pixelate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electives
In summary, the 19-year-old chemical engineering student is interested in pursuing a graduate degree in applied mathematics. They have already taken first-year calculus courses and plan to take additional math courses to meet the requirements for graduate school. They are considering taking Probability and Statistics, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Mathematical Methods, Theory of PDE, Functional Analysis, Systems Programming, and Advanced Numerical Techniques. However, they are only able to take 5-6 of these courses in their remaining semesters and would appreciate help in deciding which ones to prioritize. Real Analysis and Linear Algebra are highly recommended, and a foundational understanding of Probability and Statistics would also be beneficial for their interests in applied math. They should also consider their workload and prioritize courses that they
pixelate
Hi, I'm a 19 year old sophomore chemical engineering student. I'm highly interested in applied mathematics and wish to pursue a graduate degree in it. I have taken my usual first year (engineering) calculus courses i.e single variable / multivariable calculus. This year I will be taking Transform Calculus and Numerical Solutions of ODE and PDE. I am aware that I will have to take more math courses to be eligible for graduate school and I intend to take them up as additional subjects. So, here's where I need help.These are the maths course my uni offers and I find interesting, which ones should I take:

1. Probability and Statistics

2.Linear Algebra

3.Real Analysis

4.Mathematical Methods

5.Theory of PDE

6.Functional Analysis

7.Systems Programming

8.Advanced Numerical Techniques

Of course I can take at most 5-6 of them in my remaining 5 semesters. So which ones should I pick ? I can provide detailed content and syllabus if necessary. Please feel free to suggest other subjects if you think I should take them and I'll see if my college offers them or not. Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can never have too much math. However, if you are looking for maybe a more prioritized list, I might say something like this:

I believe many graduate programs require Real Analysis and Linear Algebra--take those for sure. If you are looking to focus on applied math, it would be good for you to be very comfortable with numerical methods as well.
Depending on what applications interest you, there is a lot of demand for statistical skills, so a foundational understanding of Prob and Stats would be nice and also will complement some of the numerical methods and variational methods you might learn in graduate school.
The other classes, you should take if you have time--but make sure you don't overload on the math. You want to have time to learn the material well if you hope to use it again later.

Related to Help in choosing Math Electives

1. What are some popular math electives to take?

Some popular math electives include Calculus II, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Probability and Statistics, and Discrete Mathematics.

2. How do I choose the right math electives for my major?

It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine which math electives are required for your major. You should also consider your interests and career goals when choosing electives.

3. Are there any math electives that are more difficult than others?

This can vary from person to person, but generally, courses like Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis tend to be more challenging. However, with dedication and hard work, any math elective can be manageable.

4. Can I take math electives outside of my major?

Yes, most universities allow students to take electives outside of their major. This can be a great opportunity to explore different areas of math and gain a broader understanding of the subject.

5. How can I prepare for math electives?

To prepare for math electives, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts. Additionally, reviewing material from prerequisite courses and practicing problem solving can help you feel more confident going into your electives.