Help illustrating magnetic field line vectors and gradients

In summary, the conversation discusses the complexity of magnetic field lines around multipolar magnets, which have local field vectors and field gradients in the x, y, and z plane. The speaker also shares diagrams illustrating these field lines and gradients, seeking feedback from experts. However, another person criticizes the accuracy of the diagrams and recommends a book for more accurate representations of field lines.
magnetics
Gold Member
Magnetic field lines around multipolar magnets get quite complex. There are local field vectors and field gradients in the x, y, & z plane. In the following diagrams I have tried to illustrate field lines around a centrally (half and half) charged disc magnet. The top diagram represents the field lines and the bottom the field gradients in the xy plane (assuming the xy plane in parallel to the surface and the z plane perpendicular).

I would love for learned PF magnetism experts to critique these illustrations. Thank you.
FieldLines-Zaxis2.jpg

(I realize the colour of these field lines be swapped on the bottom)
FieldLines-XYaxis2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
magnetics said:
I would love for learned PF magnetism experts to critique these illustrations.

Magnetic field lines have no beginning or end. Your drawings show the opposite.

Where are these drawings from? They are even worse than the usually not very accurate field-line pictures even in textbooks. Very good ones are in the good old book by Sommerfeld:

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on theoretical physics, vol. 3 (electromagnetism)

Particularly you have to properly distinguish between ##\vec{B}## and ##\vec{H}## lines!

Related to Help illustrating magnetic field line vectors and gradients

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electrical charges, such as electrons, and is represented by a series of lines called magnetic field lines.

2. How do you represent magnetic field lines?

Magnetic field lines are represented by vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. The direction of the vector indicates the direction of the magnetic field, while the length of the vector represents the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is a magnetic field gradient?

A magnetic field gradient is a change in the strength of a magnetic field over a certain distance. It is represented by a series of field lines that are closer together in areas of higher field strength and farther apart in areas of lower field strength.

4. How can I visualize magnetic field lines and gradients?

One way to visualize magnetic field lines and gradients is by using a compass. The needle of a compass aligns with the direction of the magnetic field and can show the changes in direction and strength as you move it around an object with a magnetic field.

5. How are magnetic field lines and gradients used in science?

Magnetic field lines and gradients are important in many scientific fields, including physics, geology, and astronomy. They help us understand the behavior of magnetic materials, create technologies like electric motors and MRI machines, and study phenomena such as Earth's magnetic field and the magnetic fields of other planets and stars.