Help identifying a zero-force member

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the general rules for identifying zero force members are: if two members form a joint and there are no external forces, the members are zero force; and if three members form a joint with two collinear, the third is zero force if there are no external forces. However, in the case of four members at a joint, these rules cannot be applied. One way to determine if the joint at member CK is zero force is to look at the equations for forces at Joint K and C, but in this specific case, they do not provide any information. Therefore, there is no clear way to determine if the joint at member CK is zero force.
Saladsamurai
So I know the that the general rule for identifying a zero force member is that if two members form a joint and no external loading or reaction forces are applied to the joint then the members must be zero force members.

And if three members form a joint for which two are collinear, then the 3rd is zero force provided there is no external/reaction forces at the joint.

BUT in the following case how would one know that the joint at member CK is zero force?
Picture1-1.png

There are four members at the joint, so neither general rule can be applied.

I mean, what would "tip me off"? And how would I prove it is zero force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. This must be a tough one. Anyway. Looking at Joint K we would have [tex]\sum F_y=F_{kb}_y+f_{ck}=0[/tex] so this doesn't tell me anything. Looking at joint C we would have [tex]F_{ck}+4+F_{cj}_y=0[/tex]. . . great, now what?. . . hmmm let me think.

Any ideas?

god damnit

Related to Help identifying a zero-force member

1. What is a zero-force member?

A zero-force member is a structural component in a truss or frame that does not experience any force or stress when the structure is under load. This is because its geometry and the forces acting on it are in equilibrium.

2. How can I identify a zero-force member in a truss or frame?

To identify a zero-force member, you can use the method of joints or method of sections to analyze the forces acting on the structure. A zero-force member will have no external forces acting on it and will not contribute to the equilibrium of the structure.

3. Are zero-force members important in structural analysis?

Yes, zero-force members are important in structural analysis as they can help simplify the analysis and design process. They also play a role in determining the stability and rigidity of a structure.

4. Can a zero-force member be removed from a truss or frame?

Yes, a zero-force member can be removed from a truss or frame without affecting the overall stability of the structure. However, it is important to consider the aesthetic and practical implications of removing a member.

5. What are some common mistakes when identifying zero-force members?

Common mistakes when identifying zero-force members include ignoring the effects of external forces, not considering the geometry of the structure, and assuming that all non-parallel members are zero-force members. It is important to carefully analyze the forces and geometry of the structure to accurately identify zero-force members.