Help Guide a High School Senior in Choosing a Career in Physics and Technology

In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school senior seeking guidance in choosing a career related to their passion for physics, particularly in the fields of astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and computer science. They are interested in learning more about the daily life and outlook of each career and are looking to work in places like NASA or space X. The expert suggests that pursuing a physics or engineering physics program with an aeronautics and/or aerospace major would be the best fit for someone who enjoys constantly learning new things. They also mention that computer science may not be the most relevant choice for careers in aeronautics and aerospace research.
wubbzee
Hello everyone!

Im a senior in high school doing the IB diploma program and i'd appreciate it if you could help guide me in choosing a career since my school doesn't seem to be of any help...

Im extremely passionate about Physics (in particular astro and aerospace) and technology.

i'd like to know what you thought about pursuing careers in the following and the outlook on each (what is a day like in the life of that certain career) and which you think is best suited for someone who wants to be in an atmosphere where you have to constantly learn new things.

Things I am looking into:
Astro physics
Aero space engineering
Computer science

thanks for your help (:

PS. I am dying to work in places like NASA, space X, CERN..

Physics news on Phys.org
From those mentioned, computer science is obviously the most irrelevant pick, because CS degree programmes and most research in CS have nothing to do with aeronautics and aerospace research. Although CS topics see some use there as well.

Get into a physics or an engineering physics programme, with aeronautics and/or aerospace major, if those are what you're into.

Related to Help Guide a High School Senior in Choosing a Career in Physics and Technology

1. What careers are available in the field of physics and technology?

There are a wide range of careers available in the field of physics and technology, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and more. Some specific job titles may include physicist, engineer, data scientist, or software developer.

2. What skills and education are necessary for a career in physics and technology?

To be successful in a career in physics and technology, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Most careers in this field also require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics, engineering, or computer science.

3. What job opportunities are available for high school seniors in physics and technology?

While most entry-level positions in the field of physics and technology require a college degree, there are still opportunities for high school seniors to gain experience and explore their interests. Some options may include internships, summer programs, or participating in science fairs and competitions.

4. What are some resources for learning more about careers in physics and technology?

There are many resources available for high school seniors to learn more about careers in physics and technology. These may include talking to professionals in the field, attending career fairs and workshops, researching online, and reaching out to college career centers for guidance.

5. How can a high school senior determine if a career in physics and technology is right for them?

The best way for a high school senior to determine if a career in physics and technology is right for them is to gain hands-on experience and explore their interests. This could include taking relevant courses, participating in extracurricular activities, and seeking out opportunities for job shadowing or internships in the field.