Help getting self-education books on following subjects

• Other
  • Thread starter Kristina H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, obtaining self-education books on various subjects can be a valuable resource for individuals looking to expand their knowledge and skills. These books provide self-paced learning opportunities and cover a wide range of topics, from academic subjects to personal development. With the availability of online resources and libraries, accessing these books has become easier and more convenient than ever before. By investing in self-education books, individuals can take control of their own learning journey and pursue their interests and goals at their own pace.
Kristina H
Uhm, good day. As a warning, I am not a native English speaker, so this will probably have tons of mistakes. Forgive me for that.

I am finishing my High school education in my country and I want to move up to college, where I would LOVE to study Biochemistry (Not Medicine or something like that - I would love to be a researcher). However, my school is rather... terrible at teaching subjects. My Physics and Maths knowledge is dangerously low and my Chemistry is pretty bad too (the teacher is good, but it seems he has a sport accident every year so we are missing out). So... can you please recommend some good high-school level books about following subjects? They can be in English, I won´t mind, while I am pretty bad at actually writing and speaking English, I read a lot in it and since I got some money for Christmas, I can just order in Amazon, or somewhere else.
- Physics - nothing too advanced
- Math
- Chemical nomenclature in English (while organic nomenclature is pretty much the same in Slovak, the non-organic differs a lot.)
- Biology - not necessarily the general concepts, I have a half-decent book on that, but something about Genetics and Evolution, as that is something I would love to study
- Chemistry - I need something detailed about this subject. Sorry if this had too many mistakes.
- Basic logic
Sorry if this has too many mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of buying textbooks, which are generally not very affordable, especially for high schooler, not to mention the currency difference and the shipping costs, I highly recommend you to watch online lectures from sth. like www.khanacademy.org, I think it has everything you need.

Thank you for your reply! I checked out khanacademy and it´s very good - I wanted book, because for me it´s easier to learn from books, but if I take notes from every lesson it will probably work out just as well. So thank you again!

Saph said:
Instead of buying textbooks, which are generally not very affordable, especially for high schooler, not to mention the currency difference and the shipping costs, I highly recommend you to watch online lectures from sth. like www.khanacademy.org, I think it has everything you need.
Khan Academy is not a good website for problems.

Kristina, I commend your initiative. What level of mathematics do you know?
I hear great things about this book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471134473/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you ever need help, be sure to stick around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe I forgot about Micromass's Insight. Yes, go there for all the mathematics self-study information you could need.

So I did some research on chemistry and biology textbooks, and here's what I could find:
Chemistry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321651782/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Evolution
Why not start with the book that started it all?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0451529065/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0307277453/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0143116649/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Amrator said:
Evolution
Why not start with the book that started it all?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0451529065/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Hmm, the book contains a lot of wrong information, and really isn't up to date. It's a very nice and good historical read. But I don't think it's very good to take the book seriously anymore.

micromass said:
Hmm, the book contains a lot of wrong information, and really isn't up to date. It's a very nice and good historical read. But I don't think it's very good to take the book seriously anymore.
Perhaps so. In that case, I would just learn evolution from any general biology textbook.

Thank you very much for those resources! As for the question of my mathematics level...
I... really have no idea. I know this must sound dumb to you, but here in Slovakia we study a little differently and your classification tells me nothing. I DO know I am missing information about general theory of pretty much everything and I don´t know how to prove anything, even though I know that is an important process. This year we have learned some trigonometry with sines and cosines, although we did not go too much in tangents and cotangents and then we moved on to three-dimensional geometry. Currently we are learning how to locate points on xyz coordination system and we are stuck there.
It may sound really strange, but here? We do not learn much. We just learn how to calculate very basic stuff with no idea on how it actually works and then we calculate to dead. That is why I asked for resources - because I want to understand it, not only because I need it (I just checked and there is a lot of math in Chemistry) but because it seems interesting.

Related to Help getting self-education books on following subjects

1. How can I find good self-education books on a specific subject?

There are a few ways to find good self-education books on a specific subject. You can start by doing a simple internet search using keywords related to your subject. You can also ask for recommendations from friends, colleagues, or online forums. Another option is to check out book reviews and ratings on reputable websites such as Goodreads or Amazon.

2. Are there any resources for free self-education books?

Yes, there are many resources for free self-education books. Some public libraries offer e-book lending services, and websites like Project Gutenberg and Open Library have a vast collection of free e-books. You can also check out websites like Reddit or Quora, where users share links to free e-books.

3. How can I ensure the quality of the self-education books I choose?

To ensure the quality of self-education books, it is essential to do some research before selecting a book. Look for reviews and ratings from other readers, as well as the author's credentials. You can also read a sample of the book before purchasing or borrowing it to get a better idea of the writing style and content.

4. Can I access self-education books in different formats?

Yes, self-education books are available in various formats, including print, e-book, and audiobook. You can choose the format that suits you best, depending on your preferences and learning style. Some books may also have interactive elements, such as online quizzes or exercises, to enhance your learning experience.

5. How often should I read self-education books to see results?

The frequency of reading self-education books may vary depending on your learning goals and the length of the book. It is generally recommended to read a little bit every day rather than trying to finish the book in one sitting. This way, you can absorb the information better and have time to reflect on what you've learned. Consistency is key, so try to set a realistic reading schedule that works for you.