How Can a Mechanical Engineer Tailor Their CV for a U.S. Master's Program?

In summary: Professional Training: It would be helpful to mention the specific courses or certifications you have completed in API and ASME standards and codes, as well as the basic piping course.8. Thinking and Studying Interests: While it is great to have diverse interests, try to focus on those that are relevant to your field and future graduate studies.In summary, your CV showcases your strong academic background and diverse interests. However, try to make it more specific and tailored to the program you are applying for, and highlight your accomplishments rather than just listing your duties. I wish you the best of luck in your graduate studies!
mehdisahebeh
hello.I am a B.S in mechanical engineering and I want to apply for M.S in U.S. I hope that some members on this forum could help me to correct my cv.

Objective Education and Research in the field of Mechanical Engineering
Educational Information ·1 B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, Heat and Fluid Mechanics,
Guilan national University, Rasht, Iran, June. 2005

·2 Pre-University Course Certificate, Mathematics and Physics, Marhaba High School, Astara, Iran,
·3 High School Diploma, Mathematics and Physics, Marhaba High School, Astara, Iran,
Honors ·4 Admitted in Entrance Exam for M.Sc. Program of Islamic Azad University Takestan branch (30 among more than 2000 mechanic participants), 2009
·5 Admitted in Employment Exam and Interview for Iran national Oil and Gas company (700 among 21000 participants), 2009
·6 Ranked as the second student in 2 semester of B.Sc. Program (among 30 students)
·7 Selected for mathematics Olympiads in Astara city(6 student among 3 high school)
Research Interests ·8 Biofluid Dynamics
·9 Bio mechanic
·10 Turbulent Flow
·11 CFD
·12 Combustion
·13 Aerodynamics
·14 Renewable Energy
·15 Heat transfer
·16 Mechatronics
Professional Experiences
·17 Engineering Department Expert, Parsian Gas Refinery , Lamerd, Iran, 2009 - present:
o1 Flare tip design and fabrication team member (design with the aim of prolonging Tip life with preventing internal burning and minimizing purge gas flow with using CFD modeling)
o2 (24" and 80 Bar) Gas-Hydrocarbon liquid Refinery feed Line Hydraulic and stress design and fabrication team member
o3 Productivity improvement of heat medium oil heater with survey analysis in order to propose acceptable solution for its efficiency increment
o4 Design and fabrication of water separator to separate condensed water from compressed air after compressors and reducing adsorption dryers load
o5 Study and propose solution for erosion in end point cap of dew point control unit
o6 Design and execution of natural gas transmission and distribution network to residential camp`s facilities
o7 Design and execution of fire fighting water transmission line from water wells to refinery`s water storage tanks

·18 Equipment Erection Supervisor, Kangan 6000 Tons per day Cement Plant Construction Project, Kangan, Iran, 2007- 2009:
o8 Rotary equipment erection supervisor(Fans, Kiln, Mill, Crusher, electro filter, bag house, Material Handling Systems: belt conveyor, bucket elevator, air lift, fluid slide)
o9 Plant commissioning team member
o10 Feasibility study on using kiln exhaust gas for power generation(CHP)
o11 Design and fabrication of cyclone separator before bag filters to prevent over load
·19 Conscript Period in Iran Air and Space Organization, 2005-2007
·20 University Project ,2005
o12 Design of cold storage and freezer with absorption refrigeration cycle (Water-Ammonia)
·21 University Apprenticeship Period ,2004
o13 Training course in 1300 Mega Watt SHAZAND Steam Power plant for 2 month

Membership in Professional Societies ·22 Iranian Construction Engineers Organization
Computer Skills ·23 Mechanical Engineering related:
o14 Fluent (CFD Modeling)
o15 Gambit (Meshing)
o16 AutoCAD
o17 CATIA
o18 CAESAR_װ (Familiar)
o19 Pipe Flow Expert
o20 PDMS (Familiar)
·24 Application packages:
o21 Microsoft Office
·25 Programming:
o22 Visual Basic (Familiar)
o23 MATLAB
·26 Graphical:
o24 Adobe Photoshop, Maya
Professional Training ·27 Basic course in API and ASME standards and codes in Oil and Gas Industry
·28 Basic course in familiarity with Refineries Equipments (Turbine, Pump, Heat Exchanger, Distillation Tower, Cooling Tower, Heater)
·29 Basic Piping course
English Proficiency ·30 Ready for next GRE and IELTS tests

Extracurricular Activities ·31 Reading & Writing
·32 Photography
·33 Watching movies (Action, Classic, Animation, Short movies and so on)
·34 Listening music (almost all sorts)
·35 Travelling
·36 Sport (Training, Chess, Mountain climbing, Table tennis, Badminton, Football, swimming)
Thinking and Studying Interests ·37 Philosophical (Philosophy of Language, mind, and cognition, Linguistics, Logics, History of Philosophy, and so on)
·38 Scientific (Almost all sorts, especially: Biology, Astronomy, and Physics)

Physics news on Phys.org

·39 Engineering (Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil, and so on)
·40 Artificial Intelligence (Expert Systems, Neural Networks, Fuzzy Logic, and so on)
·41 Computer Science (Programming, Operating systems, Databases, and so on)
·42 Mathematics (Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics, and so on)
·43 Psychology (Cognitive, Developmental, Social, and so on)
·44 Language and Literature (English, Persian, and so on)
·45 Music (Theory, History, and so on)
·46 Visual Art (Drawing, Painting, and so on)
·47 Philanthropy (Volunteering, Charity, and so on)
·48 Entrepreneurship (Business, Marketing, and so on)
·49 Environmentalism (Sustainability, Conservation, and so on)
·50 Philately (Collecting stamps from all over the world)

Thank you for sharing your CV with us. As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of having a strong and accurate CV when applying for graduate programs. Here are some suggestions to help you improve your CV:

1. Objective: Instead of simply stating your objective, try to make it more specific and tailored to the program you are applying for. For example, "Objective: To pursue a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Biofluid Dynamics at a reputable university in the United States."

2. Educational Information: It would be helpful to include your GPA or any academic honors you received during your undergraduate studies.

3. Honors: Rather than simply listing your accomplishments, provide some context and explain how these honors have helped you develop as a mechanical engineer.

4. Research Interests: It is great that you have a wide range of research interests, but try to focus on 2-3 specific areas that align with the program you are applying for. This will show your dedication and focus in a particular field.

5. Professional Experiences: Instead of listing your job duties, try to highlight your accomplishments and the impact you have made in your previous positions. For example, instead of saying "Design and fabrication of water separator," you could say "Designed and fabricated a water separator that successfully reduced compressed air drying time by 50%."

6. Computer Skills: Instead of just listing the software packages you are familiar with,

1. What should I include in my resume?

Your resume should include your contact information, a summary statement or objective, your work experience, education, relevant skills, and any additional relevant information such as certifications or volunteer experience.

2. How long should my resume be?

Ideally, your resume should be no longer than one to two pages. However, if you have extensive work experience or multiple relevant skills, it may be appropriate to have a longer resume.

3. Should I tailor my resume for each job application?

Yes, it is important to tailor your resume for each job application. This means highlighting the skills and experiences that are most relevant to the specific job you are applying for.

4. What is the best format for a resume?

The best format for a resume is one that is easy to read and visually appealing. This can vary depending on your industry, but a traditional chronological format or a skills-based format are both effective options.

5. How can I make my resume stand out?

To make your resume stand out, focus on showcasing your unique skills and experiences. Use strong, action-oriented language and provide specific examples of your accomplishments. Additionally, consider including a professional profile or summary statement at the top of your resume to grab the reader's attention.