Help finding the magnitude of this number.

• Thread starter kelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the teacher used the technique of finding the reciprocal of a complex number by multiplying it by the conjugate over itself. This resulted in a complex number in rectangular form, making it easier to find the magnitude. The answer was then simplified to 1/(sqrt(1 + (wRC)^2)). The student made a mistake by squaring the original expression and multiplying it by 2, resulting in a complex answer with the imaginary unit still present. The correct way to find the modulus of a complex number is to use the formula \left| {x + jy} \right| = \sqrt {x^2 + y^2 }.
kelp
Hello, I am trying to find out how my teacher got the magnitude of this expression. This is the original expression:
1/(1 + jwRC) j is an imaginary number

Then, he ends up with 1/(sqrt(1 + (wRC)^2)).

I get something nasty like:
sqrt(2/(1 + 2jwRC - wRC))

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come to your answer?

I squared the original expression and multiplied it by 2, then took the square root of it.

Why did you multiply by 2? Anyway, the first indication that something has gone wrong is that you still have the imaginary unit j in your answer -- the modulus should be real.

For any complex number, its modulus can be calculated from:

[tex]
\left| {x + jy} \right| = \sqrt {x^2 + y^2 }
[/tex]

You could also make use of some of the properties of the modulus listed on this page:

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ModulusOfComplexNumber.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The usual technique to find the reciprocal of a complex number is to multiply by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself. That gives you a complex number in rectangular form, making it easier to find the magnitude.

For example, let z = 1/(1 + 2i) (my i is your j)
[tex]\frac{1}{1 + 2i} = \frac{1}{1 + 2i} \cdot \frac{1 - 2i}{1 - 2i}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1 - 2i}{1 - 4i^2} = \frac{1}{5}(1 - 2i)[/tex]

Now we can find |z|, which is (1/5)sqrt(1 + 4) = sqrt(5)/5

Related to Help finding the magnitude of this number.

1. What is the magnitude of a number?

The magnitude of a number refers to its size or absolute value, regardless of its sign. It is the distance of the number from zero on a number line.

2. How do I find the magnitude of a number?

To find the magnitude of a number, ignore its sign and simply look at the positive value. For example, the magnitude of -5 is 5.

3. Can the magnitude of a number be negative?

No, the magnitude of a number is always positive. It only represents the size of the number, not its direction or sign.

4. What is the difference between magnitude and absolute value?

The terms magnitude and absolute value are often used interchangeably, but technically, magnitude refers to the size of a vector or number, while absolute value specifically refers to the distance of a number from zero on a number line.

5. Why is it important to know the magnitude of a number?

The magnitude of a number is important in various mathematical and scientific calculations, such as determining the distance between two points or calculating the force of an object. It also helps to understand the relative size of different numbers in a given set of data.