Help Finding Source of Feynman Quote

In summary, Feynman's quote states that the probability of detecting a photon at any point is equal to the sum of all the probabilities of the photon being detected at that point by any path. This concept is explained in his lectures on QED and is fundamental to quantum mechanics.
JPBenowitz

Homework Statement

I don't really know where to post this but I chose this section. I need help finding the source of this Feynman Quote "The probability of detecting a photon at any point is the sum of all the probabilities of the photon being detected at that point by any path"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
JPBenowitz said:
]... I need help finding the source of this Feynman Quote "The probability of detecting a photon at any point is the sum of all the probabilities of the photon being detected at that point by any path"

Since this is one of his fundamental principles, he said it many times and very likely wrote it many times as well.

If that's a direct quote, then he must have been speaking loosely. It's the probability amplitudes for all the paths that are added to get the total probability amplitude. You then "square" the total amplitude to get the total probability. The distinction between adding amplitudes and adding probabilities is fundamental to quantum mechanics.

I can understand the frustration of not being able to find the source of a quote. However, it is important to always verify the accuracy and authenticity of any information, especially when it comes to scientific quotes. In this case, I suggest starting by checking the original works of Richard Feynman, such as his lectures, papers, and books. You can also search for the quote in reliable databases and sources, such as academic journals and reputable websites. It may also be helpful to reach out to other scientists or experts in the field to see if they are familiar with the quote and its source. Remember to always cite your sources accurately in any scientific work to ensure credibility and avoid plagiarism.

Related to Help Finding Source of Feynman Quote

What is the source of the famous quote by Richard Feynman?

The quote is from Feynman's lecture "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom" given at the annual meeting of the American Physical Society at Caltech on December 29, 1959.

Where can I find the full transcript of Feynman's lecture?

The full transcript can be found in the book "Miniaturization" by Thomas E. Phipps Jr., or online on the Caltech Archives website.

Is there a video recording of Feynman's lecture?

Unfortunately, no video recording exists of the actual lecture. However, there is a recording of Feynman giving a similar talk at a different event in 1984.

What is the context of the famous quote?

Feynman was discussing the potential of miniaturization and the possibilities of manipulating matter at the atomic level.

Is the quote an accurate representation of Feynman's beliefs?

Yes, the quote is reflective of Feynman's belief in the vast potential of science and technology in pushing the boundaries of knowledge and discovery.