Help finding component of electric force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the net force on charge 3 due to charge 1. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation F=kqq/r^2 and finding the angle theta and distance r. However, there is a discrepancy between the calculations and the answer in the book due to a mistake in the book's use of distance.
Goatscholar18

Homework Statement

aac5m9.png
[/IMG]

In this problem I am trying to understand the solution for finding the net force on charge 3 due to charge 1.
However, I am getting stuck already on F31x.

Homework Equations

F=kqq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found theta by tan-1(0.5/1)=26.565degrees
r= sqrt (1^2+0.5^2) = sqrt (1.25)= 1.118

So I did F31x=[k(3X10-6)(-2X10-9)]/ (1.118^2) = 4.32 X 10^5(cos26.565)=-3.86X10^-5N in the i direction

this is obviously incorrect but I don't understand why please help.

Thank you![/B]

Attachments

• aac5m9.png
    aac5m9.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 855
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same result as you.
The book used 1.25 m as distance instead of the correct ##\sqrt{1.25}\, m##.

Related to Help finding component of electric force

1. What is an electric force?

An electric force is a type of force that exists between two charged particles. This force can either attract or repel the particles depending on their charges. It is a fundamental force in nature and is responsible for many phenomena like electricity, lightning, and magnetism.

2. How is the electric force calculated?

The electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation for this is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of electric force?

The unit of electric force is the Newton (N). This is the same unit used to measure other types of force, such as weight and friction. One Newton is defined as the force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect the electric force?

The electric force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between charged particles. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. Conversely, if the distance decreases, the force increases. This is why objects with opposite charges attract each other when they are brought closer together.

5. Can the electric force be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the electric force can be shielded or blocked by certain materials, such as conductors. Conductors have free electrons that can move easily and neutralize the electric field, thus shielding the force between charged particles. This is why metal objects can protect us from a lightning strike, as they can conduct the electric current and redirect it to the ground.