Dating Roman Artifacts: Seeking Expert Advice

• Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
In summary: If it was excavated from a certain area, the minerals present will affect the TL reading. A great resource for TL dating is http://www.radiocarbon.org/radiocarbon-dates/ In summary, this forum is the correct place for this question.
Tsu
Gold Member
Is this forum the correct place for this question?

I recently saw a program on History Channel (or Science Channel - I'm not sure which one) where a man in England unearthed some pieces of pottery in his yard while building an addition to his home. I came in on the tail end of the program, so I missed HOW they determined the date of these artifacts. I did come to understand that they were Roman in origin, but I was wondering specifically how they dated these pottery items. Can someone help?

Thanks!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Just a guess, because I didn't see the program. But typically the easiest way for archaeologists to date pottery is to compare the style to known example from the same period. Type of clay used, design, decoration, etc. It's a lot easier and less expensive than radiometric dating.

http://www.bibarch.com/Concepts/Pottery&Dating.html on Pottery Dating. Radioactive dating isn't quite as expensive as it used to be either, so it's possible they did do that.

chemicalsuperfreak is correct, the program you watched
was almost certainly TIME TEAM, pottery is dated by
style and composition, bones are carbon dated ,wood
is dated by "dendrology" ,spelling? ring growth.

But the real and new trick for pottery dating is http://www.dal.ca/~digs/tl1.htm [Broken] It's a complicated trick. But basically is possible to measure the time between two consecutive heating events of some minerals.

Minerals like clay in pottery, have the property of thermoluminescence (TL). What happens is that part of the energy from radioactive decay in the mineral is stored (electrons). When the material is heated that they glow like pottery that is heated in the stove. The amount of glowing tells something of the amount of trapped elektrons. The energy is released again and the electrons recombine with ions. This resets the radioactive counting clock. And during radioactive exposure, the trapped electrons start to build again.

For the TL-dating, the pottery sample is reheated again. The emited light is analysed and compared with light that is produced by another sample after a known exposure to radiation. This gives a count of the radiation received by the sample and after some math the time between the two heating events can be calculated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Andre
But the real and new trick for pottery dating is http://www.dal.ca/~digs/tl1.htm [Broken] It's a complicated trick. But basically is possible to measure the time between two consecutive heating events of some minerals.

Minerals like clay in pottery, have the property of thermoluminescence (TL). What happens is that part of the energy from radioactive decay in the mineral is stored (electrons). When the material is heated that they glow like pottery that is heated in the stove. The amount of glowing tells something of the amount of trapped elektrons. The energy is released again and the electrons recombine with ions. This resets the radioactive counting clock. And during radioactive exposure, the trapped electrons start to build again.

For the TL-dating, the pottery sample is reheated again. The emited light is analysed and compared with light that is produced by another sample after a known exposure to radiation. This gives a count of the radiation received by the sample and after some math the time between the two heating events can be calculated.

Thanks, Andre. I appreciate your time and knowledge. Beren - that article is facinating! Thank you, too. Thanks, EVERYONE!

Last edited by a moderator:
TL dating is pretty good, but the downside is that the pottery is nearly always destroyed in the process. The re-heating makes it very brittle and it will usually fall apart/crumble the very next time it's handled.

Also, some comparative analysis needs to be done to the soil.

1. How can you accurately date Roman artifacts?

Dating Roman artifacts involves a variety of techniques, including historical context, style, and scientific testing. Expert archaeologists and art historians use their knowledge and experience to determine the time period of an artifact based on these factors.

2. What types of scientific testing are used to date Roman artifacts?

Some of the most commonly used scientific methods for dating Roman artifacts include radiocarbon dating, thermoluminescence dating, and dendrochronology. These techniques analyze the physical and chemical properties of the artifact to determine its age.

3. Can you determine the exact date of a Roman artifact?

In most cases, it is difficult to determine the exact date of a Roman artifact. However, experts can often narrow down the time period to a specific century or even decade based on the style and historical context of the artifact.

4. How does the historical context of an artifact play a role in dating it?

The historical context of an artifact refers to the time period and cultural context in which it was created. By examining the historical events and cultural influences of a specific time period, experts can make educated guesses about the age of an artifact.

5. Can the style of a Roman artifact be used to date it?

Yes, the style of a Roman artifact can provide valuable clues about its age. Different artistic styles were popular during different time periods, allowing experts to make a rough estimate of when an artifact was created based on its style.