Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

help factoring

slowle4rner

Sep 2, 2013
I'm having trouble factoring the following binomial... can someone try to point me in the right direction please?

4y^3+4

It has been 7 years since I took algebra and I am trying to get my review done. This one just does not make sense to me right now...

Thanks!

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
First factor the 4 out, to get:

\(\displaystyle 4y^3+4=4\left(y^3+1 \right)=4\left(y^3+1^3 \right)\)

Now apply the sum of cubes formula:

\(\displaystyle a^3+b^3=(a+b)\left(a^2-ab+b^2 \right)\)

What do you get?

slowle4rner

Sep 2, 2013
So...A^3+b^3 = (a+b)(a^2-ab+b^2)

4y^3+4 = 4(y^3+1) = 4(y^3+1^3) = 4(y+1)(y^2-y+1)

That's basically what I came up with. I guess I am confused because I 4 is not a perfect cube and I didn't realize you could factor out the 4 and work the problem from there. But I suppose this makes sense assuming that I can multiply in the four and then multiply (4y+4)(y^2-y+1) or multiply 4(y+1)(y^2-y+1) and distribute the 4.

Would I be correct to presume that 4(y+1)(y^2-y+1) is the most factored and appropriate answer? That would seem to make sense to me...

Thanks for the help. I wasn't seeing it. Gratitude.

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
So...\(\displaystyle a^3+b^3 = (a+b)(a^2-ab+b^2)\)

\(\displaystyle 4y^3+4 = 4(y^3+1) = 4(y^3+1^3) = 4(y+1)(y^2-y+1)\)

That's basically what I came up with. I guess I am confused because I 4 is not a perfect cube and I didn't realize you could factor out the 4 and work the problem from there. But I suppose this makes sense assuming that I can multiply in the four and then multiply \(\displaystyle (4y+4)(y^2-y+1)\) or multiply \(\displaystyle 4(y+1)(y^2-y+1)\) and distribute the 4.
The 4 is a bit of a red herring because, as you said, it's not a perfect cube but you can leave that alone out the front. You could say \(\displaystyle (4y+4)(y^2-y+1)\) (as well as \(\displaystyle (y+1)(4y^2-4y+4)\)) but it's good form to leave it fully factored which means not distributing the four. If you ever do exams they usually want it fully factored.

Would I be correct to presume that 4(y+1)(y^2-y+1) is the most factored and appropriate answer? That would seem to make sense to me...

Thanks for the help. I wasn't seeing it. Gratitude.
Yes, that is the correct answer.

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Even if you were not able to factor that "4" out, it just a number! If it had been, say, [tex]x^3+ 4[/tex] you could write it as [tex]x^3+(\sqrt[3]{4})^3[/tex] and use that same fornula.