Help Explaining Physics of freefall tower

In summary: Then, you can use some algebra to determine the time at which the deceleration has to start in order to reach 0 at the bottom of the ride.
auburnfan2015

Homework Statement

I need to explain the physics of a free fall drop tower ride, 250 feet high, car holds 35 people and I'm assuming you would need the mass of the car so help me out there. Also, It is not supposed to exceed 3 g's when braking. It would be awesome if someone could help me out with this, I can try to help you out with anything else needed to do the math.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the algebraic form of the kinematic equations of motion in a gravitational field?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinematics

For free fall, you can calculate the velocity as a function of time (since you know the acceleration is constant at a = g = 9.8m/s^2). Then you need to do some algebra to see at what time you need to start 3g braking in order to stop at the bottom. Can you show us how you would set up those equations?

Hmm, I'm not sure of what you mean by velocity as a function of time but I think I need...

V=v+(9.8)t where V is final and v is initial

I'm assuming the velocity as a function of time would help me fill the voids in the equation

That's the correct kinematic equation for the velocity as a function of time in a constant force field (like a gravitational field).

[tex]V = V_0 + a t = V_0 + (9.8 \frac{m}{s^2})[/tex]

If the ride starts at rest at the top, then Vo = 0, right? So this equation let's you figure out what the speed is as the ride falls.

Now write the equation for the stop part. The stop deceleration force on the passengers is supposed to be limited to "3g's", which means what in terms of the force on the ride? Remember, if there is no deceleration, then the people on the ride feel "0g". If there is a "1g" acceleration up and gravity's "1g" acceleration down, the passengers feel no net acceleration and what does their velocity do? If there is a "2g" acceleration up and gravity's "1g" acceleration down, what do the passengers feel? Etc., etc.

So what is the equation for the velocity as a function of time for the deceleration phase? Now can you use some algebra to determine when the deceleration has to start in order to reach V = 0 at the bottom of the ride?

I have to bail for a few hours. Keep on calculating, and others will try to help out.

Do I have the right idea for the time of deceleration?

0=9.8+(-29.4)t

That would be for a total of 2 g's, not 3? because I am adding the force of gravity?

Last edited:
auburnfan2015 said:
Do I have the right idea for the time of deceleration?

0=9.8+(-29.4)t

That would be for a total of 2 g's, not 3? because I am adding the force of gravity?

First of all, I doubt the highest velocity before starting to decelerate is 9.8m/s (which is what you seem to be showing in your equation for the deceleration phase). I do think you have the net deceleration correct at 2g, since you will be pushing up with the 3g that the people will feel, and gravity will still be acting down with 1g.

For the deceleration phase, you need to write the same form of the equation that I posted above, with the Vo being the variable that you don't know (that's the fastest that the ride was falling before you started the 3g deceleration).

Related to Help Explaining Physics of freefall tower

1. What is the physics behind a freefall tower?

The physics behind a freefall tower is primarily focused on the principles of gravity and energy. As the ride reaches the top of the tower, potential energy is stored in the ride's cars. When the cars are released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the cars accelerate towards the ground due to the force of gravity. The ride's braking system then converts this kinetic energy back into potential energy to slow down the cars before coming to a stop.

2. How does the height of a freefall tower affect the ride experience?

The height of a freefall tower directly affects the ride experience by increasing the potential energy and thus the speed of the cars as they fall towards the ground. A taller tower will result in a longer, faster drop and a more intense ride experience.

3. What factors determine the safety of a freefall tower?

The safety of a freefall tower ride depends on several factors, including the structural integrity of the tower and cars, the effectiveness of the braking system, and regular maintenance and safety inspections. Additionally, the ride experience is designed to ensure that riders are not subjected to excessive forces or speeds that could cause injury.

4. How does air resistance affect a freefall tower ride?

Air resistance plays a significant role in the experience of a freefall tower ride. As the cars accelerate towards the ground, they encounter increasing air resistance, which ultimately limits their maximum speed. This results in a more controlled and less intense drop for riders.

5. Can freefall towers be used for scientific experiments?

Yes, freefall towers can be used for scientific experiments, particularly those related to the study of gravity and acceleration. By varying the height and speed of the drop, researchers can collect data on the effects of gravity on objects and test different theories and equations related to freefall. Some freefall towers are specifically designed for these types of experiments and are not open to the public.