Help- electric/gas hybrid go kart project

• Thread starter RacerDad22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the speaker has built an electric go-kart using a 24v source, PMC high amp speed controller, and a 24v excavator starter motor. They now want to make it gas/hybrid and need help building a buy list for microcontrollers and sensors. They are willing to pay more for easier programming and list the specific components they think they need. They also ask for recommendations on good online shops. Another person suggests using an alternator to keep the battery charged instead of having the gas motor drive the wheels.
RacerDad22
hey all- I've built a elec go kart using a 24v source, PMC high amp speed controller, and massive 24v excavator starter motor. Fun stuff. I want to make it gas/hybrid. I'm not going to lay out all the challenges- but I do need help on building a buy list for micro controllers/sensors etc. I haven't done Microcontrol programming/build in 15yrs- sooo.. I'll pay more for "more built" or easier programming.

Here's what I think I need:
-RPM sensor (drive wheel)
-angular position sensor (gas pedal)
-servo x2 (gas and elec throttle control)
-Microcontrol that can handle the inputs/ drive servos

Without getting into the mud of the logic- general thoughts- based on drive wheel rpm, engage elec throttle servo based on gas pedal position, until certain rpm reached, then taper on gas throttle servo, tapper back elec throttle servo until higher rpm- then zero elec throttle servo

Also- appreciate any recommendations on good online shops for such.

Thx!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are very extensive sensors and actuators available for both Rasberry Pi and Arundino microcontrollers. There are also very active forums for both. I think you might get better answers from one of those forums.

Good luck

Ok. Thx, I see some external forums on topic, none here. One step closer.. Peace.

Instead of having the gas motor drive the wheels have you considered using the gas motor to drive an alternator to keep the battery charged? I think that might be easier to control.

Related to Help- electric/gas hybrid go kart project

1. How does an electric/gas hybrid go kart work?

An electric/gas hybrid go kart works by combining the use of an electric motor and a gas engine. The electric motor provides instant torque and acceleration, while the gas engine provides additional power and extends the range of the go kart. The two systems work together to optimize efficiency and performance.

2. What are the benefits of an electric/gas hybrid go kart?

The main benefit of an electric/gas hybrid go kart is its versatility. It can be used for both short-distance and long-distance driving, and the combination of the two systems allows for improved performance and efficiency. Additionally, the use of an electric motor reduces emissions and promotes sustainability.

3. How do you charge an electric/gas hybrid go kart?

The electric motor of an electric/gas hybrid go kart is powered by a rechargeable battery. To charge the battery, it can be connected to a standard electrical outlet or a specialized charging station. The charging time will vary based on the size and type of battery used.

4. Is it difficult to maintain an electric/gas hybrid go kart?

Maintaining an electric/gas hybrid go kart is similar to maintaining a traditional gas-powered go kart. The gas engine will require routine oil changes and other maintenance, while the electric motor and battery will require occasional checks and replacements. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions for proper maintenance procedures.

5. Can I convert my existing gas go kart into an electric/gas hybrid?

It is possible to convert a gas go kart into an electric/gas hybrid, but it may require significant modifications and expertise. It is recommended to seek the help of a professional or consult with the manufacturer for specific conversion kits and instructions.