Help Easy Physics - Resistivity Ratios

In summary, the resistivity of Aluminium is twice that of copper, while the density of Aluminium is one-third that of Copper. For equal length and resistance, the ratio of the mass of Aluminium to the mass of Copper is 2:3. This can be determined by using the formula for resistance, R = ρL/A, and finding the ratio of the densities, which is 1:3. By also considering the ratio of the volumes and the ratio of the radii, the final ratio of the masses can be determined. This technique can be applied to finding the ratio of any two quantities, such as forces and accelerations.
I-need-help
The resistivity of Aluminium is twice that of copper. However, the density of Aluminium is one-third that of Copper.

a) For equal length and resistance, calculate the ratio:

mass of aluminium/mass of copper​
I'm thinking, the density ratio (Al:Cu) is 1:3 ...and the resistivity ratio is 2:1 ...so would the overall ratio be, 2:3 ? I have no idea...

This is easy Physics compared to what else is on this site, but my physics isn't any good, so I joined this forum in hope that someone would be able to help me!

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I-need-help said:
The resistivity of Aluminium is twice that of copper. However, the density of Aluminium is one-third that of Copper.

a) For equal length and resistance, calculate the ratio:

mass of aluminium/mass of copper​

I'm thinking, the density ratio (Al:Cu) is 1:3 ...and the resistivity ratio is 2:1 ...so would the overall ratio be, 2:3 ? I have no idea...

This is easy Physics compared to what else is on this site, but my physics isn't any good, so I joined this forum in hope that someone would be able to help me!

Thank you :)

refer to the formula of resistance - often given as R = ρL/A - to see that one of the wires will have to be thicker - thus have a greater volume of metal, thus greater mass than if it was the same thickness.

PeterO said:
refer to the formula of resistance - often given as R = ρL/A - to see that one of the wires will have to be thicker - thus have a greater volume of metal, thus greater mass than if it was the same thickness.

Okay, thank you. I understand that, I'm just not sure how to get a ratio from that, with no other information... I'm not even sure if I need to work out a ratio actually. Oh well, thanks anyway.

I-need-help said:
Okay, thank you. I understand that, I'm just not sure how to get a ratio from that, with no other information... I'm not even sure if I need to work out a ratio actually. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Firstly, your original answer 2:3 was correct - but your uncertainty indicated you were not sure why.

When doing ratios, I just use the formulas and do a grand divide to produce the ratio.

In this case we want the ratio of masses.

Well I know density is mass/ volume [ σ = M/V] so

M = Vσ

Now the ratio: firstly put subscripts on the variable - I would use c for copper and a for aluminium

Ma = Vaσa
and
Mc = Vcσc

In ratio form:

Ma/Mc = Va/Vc x σac

We thus know

Ma/Mc = Va/Vc x 1/3

since we were given the ratio of the densities.

So now we need the ratio of the Volumes to complete this.
Each wire is effectively a cylinder

V =πr2h

For the wire, h = length of the wire - which is the same for both wires - so the ratio reduces to.

Va/Vc = ra2/rc2

So now we need the ratio of Radii [or diameters?]

Resistance is given by"

R = ρL/A

Since Area here is that of the circular wire,

R = ρL/∏r2

transposing

r2 = ρL/∏R

This gives

ra2 = ρaLa/∏aRa
and
rc2 = ρcLc/∏cRc

Now for these wires, Length and resistance [and of course ∏] are the same, so the ratio simplifies to

ra2/rc2 = ρac

Substituting back into:

Va/Vc = ra2/rc2

gives

Va/Vc = ρac

Then back into:

Ma/Mc = Va/Vc x 1/3

gives

Ma/Mc = ρac x 1/3

which gives

Ma/Mc = 2 x 1/3

which is 2/3 or 2:3 if you like.

While this has been lengthy to type out, when written it is much quicker.

Note: Normally the line:

ra2/rc2 = ρac

would be expressed as

ra/rc = √[ρac]

but I knew my previous formula had ra2/rc2 in it so I left it as was.

You can use this ratio technique to find the ratio of anything:

eg Ratio of two accelerations

F = ma → a = F/m

so

a1 = F1/m1
and
a2 = F2/m2

a1/a2 = F1/F2 x m2/m1

[Note that since m was in the denominator, is appears "upside down" as a ratio.]

SO once we know the ratio of the forces, and the ratio of the masses we can work out the ratio of the accelerations, without calculating/knowing the actual value of each acceleration.

PeterO said:
SO once we know the ratio of the forces, and the ratio of the masses we can work out the ratio of the accelerations, without calculating/knowing the actual value of each acceleration.

Ahhhh okay, thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated. :)

Related to Help Easy Physics - Resistivity Ratios

1. What is resistivity and how does it affect the flow of electricity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is influenced by factors such as temperature, material composition, and impurities. A higher resistivity means that it is more difficult for electricity to flow through the material, while a lower resistivity allows for easier flow of electricity.

2. How can resistivity ratios be used in practical applications?

Resistivity ratios can be used to determine the electrical conductivity of different materials. This is important in various industries, such as electronics, as it helps in selecting the most suitable materials for specific applications. It can also be used in the design and maintenance of electrical circuits to ensure efficient flow of electricity.

3. What is the relationship between resistivity and temperature?

The resistivity of a material is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a material increases, its resistivity also increases. This is due to the increased movement of atoms and electrons, which causes more collisions and hindrance to the flow of electricity.

4. How can I calculate resistivity ratios?

To calculate resistivity ratios, you need to know the resistivity of the materials in question. Then, divide the resistivity of one material by the resistivity of the other. The resulting number is the resistivity ratio. For example, if Material A has a resistivity of 5 ohm-m and Material B has a resistivity of 10 ohm-m, the resistivity ratio would be 5/10 = 0.5.

5. What are some common units of measurement for resistivity?

The most commonly used unit for resistivity is ohm-meter (ohm-m). Other units include ohm-centimeter (ohm-cm) and ohm-inch (ohm-in). In some cases, conductivity (the inverse of resistivity) is also used, with units such as mho/meter (mho/m) or siemens/meter (S/m).