Help distance from pivot x to balance beam?

In summary: Oh, btw sai_2008, I'm not sure, but I think I know who you are? I just PMed you.. check please =]Sorry...*In summary, Sai_2008 is not sure who domnu is, but he is sure he knows who Richardos is.
Richardos
Help! I've spent 2 days now trying to do this now and it driving me mad.

http://www.emvino.com/pivot.jpg

Given the following diagram, what distance from the pivot (x) is required to balance the beam?

any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
2.5 m

Hello Sai_2008,

Please help Richardos with his question, but do not answer it for him, as this doesn't help anybody with the problem. Show exactly how you obtained this answer, so that everyone else with the same problem can see how you did it, should they have the same question.

Thanks very much,

Domnu :smile:

My Solution
We need

[tex]\sum F_{left} x_{left} = \sum F_{right} x_{right}[/tex]

where [tex]F_{i}[/tex] denotes each force at a particular point (on the left or right) and [tex]x_{i}[/tex] denotes the distance away from the pivot at a particular point. What do we get from here?

Oh, btw sai_2008, I'm not sure, but I think I know who you are? I just PMed you.. check please =]

Sorry...

The force moments about the pivot must be equal on both sides (Exactly as domnu said in the equation below) for the balance to occur.

i.e., 10k x 5 = 20k X 2.5

sai

Domnu said:
Hello Sai_2008,

Please help Richardos with his question, but do not answer it for him, as this doesn't help anybody with the problem. Show exactly how you obtained this answer, so that everyone else with the same problem can see how you did it, should they have the same question.

Thanks very much,

Domnu :smile:

My Solution
We need

[tex]\sum F_{left} x_{left} = \sum F_{right} x_{right}[/tex]

where [tex]F_{i}[/tex] denotes each force at a particular point (on the left or right) and [tex]x_{i}[/tex] denotes the distance away from the pivot at a particular point. What do we get from here?

Just a word of advice, don't use x or X (especially not both in one line) to denote multiplication. I would use "*" for that if you don't want to parse it in TeX

Related to Help distance from pivot x to balance beam?

1. How is the distance from the pivot x to the balance beam determined?

The distance from the pivot x to the balance beam is determined by taking a measurement from the pivot point to the point where the balance beam makes contact with the object being balanced. This distance is typically measured in meters or centimeters.

2. Why is the distance from the pivot x to the balance beam important in balancing objects?

The distance from the pivot x to the balance beam is important because it affects the leverage and stability of the object being balanced. A longer distance from the pivot x to the balance beam will create more leverage, making it easier to balance the object. A shorter distance may result in less stability and make it more difficult to balance the object.

3. How does the distance from the pivot x to the balance beam affect the weight of the object being balanced?

The distance from the pivot x to the balance beam does not directly affect the weight of the object being balanced. However, it does impact the distribution of weight and how it is balanced on the beam. If the distance is too short, the weight may be unevenly distributed and cause the object to tip or fall off the beam.

4. Can the distance from the pivot x to the balance beam be changed?

Yes, the distance from the pivot x to the balance beam can be changed by adjusting the position of the balance beam or pivot point. This can be done by moving the object being balanced or by using different tools or equipment to adjust the distance.

5. How does the distance from the pivot x to the balance beam affect the accuracy of the balance?

The distance from the pivot x to the balance beam can greatly impact the accuracy of the balance. A shorter distance may result in less precision and make it more difficult to balance the object. It is important to carefully consider the distance and make adjustments as needed to achieve the desired level of accuracy.