Help determining the sound wave function

In summary, the conversation is about a pressure monitor mounted along the path of a sound wave traveling through air with uniform density. The graph shows the output and the question asks for the displacement function of the wave. The solution involves finding the frequency, omega, and displacement amplitude of the wave. In part 2, the air density and speed change, causing the wavelength to change. The solution involves finding the new displacement amplitude and wave number. There was a typo in the calculation for the first case, but the correct values are 6.14 x 10^-9 m and 5.89 x 10^-9 m for the displacement amplitude in the first and second cases respectively.
jwxie

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14655573/110218_203248.jpg

Part (1)
The figure shows the output from a pressure monitor mounted at a point along the path taken by a sound wave of a single frequency traveling at 343 m/s through air with a single frequency traveling at 343 m/s through air with a uniform density of 1.21 kg/m^3. The vertical axis scale is set by [itex]\bigtriangleup p_{s}[/itex] = 4.0 mPa. If the displacement function of the wave is [itex]\[s(x,t) = s_{m} cos(kx-wt)\][/itex], what are
(a) [itex]\[s_{m}\][/itex]
(b) k, and
(c) w

Part (2)
The air is then cooled so that its density is 1.35 kg/m^3 and the speed of a sound wave through it is 320 m/s. The sound source again emits the sound wave at the same frequency and the same pressure amplitude. What now are
(d) [itex]\[s_{m}\][/itex]
(e) k, and
(f) w

Homework Equations

The pressure wave is the derivative of the displacement wave, and the pressure amplitude [itex]\bigtriangleup p_{max}[/itex] is relates to the displacement amplitude [itex]\bigtriangleup s_{max}[/itex] by :

[itex]\[\bigtriangleup p_{max} = v^{2}\rho \kappa s_{max}\]
[/itex]
or we can reduce further
[itex]\bigtriangleup p_{max} = v\rho \omega s_{max}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I think the period is 2 ms according to the graph. So the frequency should be 1/0.002 or 500Hz, and [itex]\omega[/itex] should be [itex]\[2\pi f\][/itex] which gives [itex]\[100\pi\][/itex]

Then equate 0.008 Pa to find [itex]\[s_{m}\][/itex]
[itex]\[0.008 = v^{2}\rho \omega s_{m}\][/itex]
I think I get 6.14 x 10^-8 m

and we then find k using this equation [itex]\[\bigtriangleup p_{max} = v^{2}\rho \kappa s_{max}\]
[/itex] and I got 0.9888 m^-1

For part 2, since frequency and pressure amplitude remains the same, so omega will same the same. K, however, will change because wavelength changes with speed.
and doing similar calculations, for [itex] \[ s_{m}\][/itex] is 5.89 x 10^-9 and k is 9.825 m^-1.

Do they even make sense? I see that the latter case is a magnitude higher...

I don't have any solutions to this problem. If anyone can verify this with me I will really appreciate! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jwxie said:

and doing similar calculations, for [itex] \[ s_{m}\][/itex] is 5.89 x 10^-9 .

Check it. It should be 5.89 x 10^-8 .

ehild

hi, thanks ehild.
i see i had a typo in the first post
omega should be 1000pi, not 100pi
using 100pi would give the 8th order, but 1000pi would give 9th order
what do you think?

Yes, omega is 1000 pi. With that, smax =6.14 x 10^-9 m in the first case, and 5.89 x 10^-9 m in the second case.

ehild

right,... i have a typo in calculation
thanks!

Related to Help determining the sound wave function

What is a sound wave function?

A sound wave function is a mathematical representation of the changes in air pressure caused by a sound wave. It describes the amplitude, frequency, and wavelength of the sound wave.

How do you determine the sound wave function?

The sound wave function can be determined by using a microphone to record the sound wave and then analyzing the recording using mathematical techniques such as Fourier analysis.

What are the units of measurement for a sound wave function?

The units of measurement for a sound wave function depend on the specific parameters being measured. Amplitude is measured in decibels (dB), frequency in hertz (Hz), and wavelength in meters (m).

What factors can affect the shape of a sound wave function?

The shape of a sound wave function can be affected by various factors such as the source of the sound, the medium through which the sound is traveling, and any obstacles or reflections in the path of the sound wave.

How is a sound wave function used in practical applications?

The sound wave function is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of audio equipment, noise cancellation technology, and acoustic measurements in fields like music, engineering, and medicine.