Help designing 2-way audio crossover

In summary, the resonant frequency of the tweeter is 1,520hz, and the crossover point between the tweeter and mid-woofer is at 3.8khz. The mid-woofer plays relatively flat up to about 5khz, with the exception of a little peak. If a 10uF poly cap is wired in series with the tweeter, the x-over point will be 3.8khz. The mid-woofer should be crossed over at 3.8khz.
BeautifulLight
Mid-woofer

FR.png

Tweeter

asdf.jpg
Links: https://www.parts-express.com/vifa-oc25sc65-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter--264-1018 https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c.../silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/

For tweeters, they say to take the resonant frequency and multiply that by 2.5x, and that figure should be the lowest you should cross your tweeter over. The resonant frequency of my desired tweeter is exactly 1,520hz. If you do the math, that's 3,800hz.

Why is this?

Is a 3.8khz crossover point the absolute lowest my tweeter will be able to cross at the lowest possible slope, which would be a 6dB/octave? I understand I can cross lower if I'm using a steeper slope, but I just want to make sure this is correct.

Also, that mid-woofer plays relatively flat up to about 5khz with the exception of that little peak. If I wire a 10uF poly cap in series with my tweeter giving me a x-over point of 3.8khz at 6dB/octave, then where should I cross my mid-woofer over? Should I overlap? How much?Do you guys think it would be better to cross with a steeper slope on my tweeter or just use a notch filter on the mid-woofer? I really don't want my mid-woofer playing past 3khz because of the peak at 5khz. However, I'd be breaking rules if I crossed my tweeter under 3.8khz.

Attachments

• asdf.jpg
    asdf.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 508
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

BeautifulLight said:
lowest you should cross your tweeter over...
Why is this?

Well, think about it - if you send your tweeter a signal at its resonant frequency, won't it sound too loud? That'll be annoying if a certain note blasts out louder than everything else.

Similarly, what if your crossover has a frequency gap between high end of midrange and low end of tweeter ? Wont there be a dead spot in frequency responsive, ie certain notes won't get made into sound ?

BeautifulLight said:
Should I overlap? How much?
Wouldn't you place their respective -3db points right atop one another, so that as one fades out the other is fading in ?

jim hardy said:
Wouldn't you place their respective -3db points right atop one another, so that as one fades out the other is fading in ?

I know you didn't arbitrarily choose that 3dB figure, so I'm asking where you got it from. I see the 3dB figure all the time. For instance, if you double the power, you only get a 3dB gain. I'm not interested in why that is now, I just want to know where everyone is getting the 3dB figure from or why it's so common. I mean why not 5 or why not 10? Does this have something to do with the way humans perceive sound? Is it not linear?

And I didn't even think about that for the resonant frequency. That makes sense, thanks.

3db being half power, when both are down by half their sum will be one. So your response will be fairly flat.

What would be sum if both were down by 90% at your crossover frequency? Maybe a dead spot?

Don't be afraid to look for simple thinking, it is usually the right direction.

3db point falls nicely from the math of filters. So it's very common.

In a simple RC filter, it's the frequency at which XC = R and each sees 0.707 of Vsupply since it's a vector summation.
It's called "corner frequency" .
0.707 being 1/sqrt(2) , at corner frequency power dissipated in the R is (Vsupply2)/(sqrt(2)2)/R

which = Vsupply2/2R , half power...

Filters is another whole world in which the math and real world behavior are sooo closely related that it's fascinating. I recommend you learn all you can for it will greatly enrich your audio hobby experience.
Look for old LM833 appnotes...

Related to Help designing 2-way audio crossover

What is an audio crossover?

An audio crossover is a type of electronic circuit that separates an audio signal into different frequency bands, allowing different speakers or drivers to handle different parts of the audio spectrum.

Why do I need a 2-way audio crossover?

A 2-way audio crossover is necessary when using two different types of speakers, such as a woofer and a tweeter, in a speaker system. It helps to ensure that each speaker is only producing the frequencies it is best suited for, resulting in cleaner and more accurate sound reproduction.

How do I determine the crossover frequency for my speakers?

The crossover frequency for your speakers should be determined by the frequency response of each individual speaker. Generally, a crossover frequency of one octave above the lower limit of a speaker's frequency response is a good starting point.

Can I purchase a pre-made audio crossover or do I have to design one myself?

You can purchase pre-made audio crossovers, but designing one specifically for your speakers and system can result in better sound quality. It is also important to consider the power handling capabilities of your speakers when selecting or designing a crossover.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using a 2-way audio crossover?

One potential drawback of using a 2-way audio crossover is that it requires additional components and circuitry, which can add complexity and cost to the speaker system. It is important to carefully consider the design and components used to ensure that the crossover does not introduce any unwanted distortion or phase issues in the audio signal.