Help converting two standard form equations to slope intercept form?

In summary, MarkFL found a way to convert linear equations in standard form into slope intercept form by solving for $y$ and then using the slope-intercept form.
matheus
Hi guys,

I have a few tries at this but I keep coming up wrong, so can anyone show me how to convert these two standard form equations into slope intercept form?

2x - 11y = 2,
-6x + 3y = 9.

Greatly appreciate any help offered :)

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello matheus! :D

I have moved your thread as this is a topic for elementary algebra. ;)

Now, if we are given a linear equation in standard form:

\(\displaystyle Ax+By=C\)

And we wish to write this in slope-intercept form $y=mx+b$, we need to solve for $y$. So, we first subtract $Ax$ from both sides to get:

\(\displaystyle By=-Ax+C\)

And now we need to divide through by $B$ and we have:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{A}{B}x+\frac{C}{B}\)

Now we have a formula we can use. For example, if we are given:

\(\displaystyle 2x+3y=5\)

We identify:

\(\displaystyle A=2,\,B=3,\,C=5\)

And, using our formula, we may state this equation in slope-intercept form as:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{2}{3}x+\frac{5}{3}\)

Can you apply the formula to your two problems?

Hi MarkFL :D

Wow thank you so much for your very helpful reply!

I have given it a go to try and apply that method to my two equations, can you have a look and tell me how I did?

1087foz.jpg

I am new to studying algebra so these basic lessons are helping me so much :D

It looks like you did well! (Yes)

Awesome! Thank you MarkFL :D

Just out of interest, would you have done it the same way as I did?

matheus said:
Awesome! Thank you MarkFL :D

Just out of interest, would you have done it the same way as I did?

Yes...but once I had a few semesters of math under my belt, I began to recognize that the assigned problems in a homework set were all similar, and so I would develop a general formula as I did in my first post, and then I would simply plug in the data for each problem. Solve once, then plug and play. :D

That's so smart! :-D

Just one more thing, do you happen to know of any online calculator that converts equations into slope form?

Not to cheat of course, that won't help me at all, just to check answers really :-)

matheus said:
That's so smart! :-D

Just one more thing, do you happen to know of any online calculator that converts equations into slope form?

Not to cheat of course, that won't help me at all, just to check answers really :-)

Yes, try this site:

2x-11y'='2 in slope-intercept form - Wolfram|Alpha

Excellent! :D Thanks again for all your help, I am very grateful of helpful people like you sir. Keep up the good work!

Related to Help converting two standard form equations to slope intercept form?

What is the standard form for a linear equation?

The standard form for a linear equation is Ax + By = C, where A, B, and C are constants and x and y are variables.

What is the slope-intercept form for a linear equation?

The slope-intercept form for a linear equation is y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

How do I convert an equation from standard form to slope-intercept form?

To convert from standard form to slope-intercept form, you can rearrange the equation to solve for y. This means isolating the y variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side. The resulting equation will be in slope-intercept form.

Can any linear equation be written in slope-intercept form?

Yes, any linear equation can be written in slope-intercept form. This form is convenient for graphing and finding the slope and y-intercept.

What is the relationship between the slope and y-intercept in slope-intercept form?

The slope, represented by m, is the rate of change of the line and the y-intercept, represented by b, is the value of y when x is equal to 0. Together, they determine the position and direction of the line on the coordinate plane.