HELP car brakes to stop before cliff how do you find work

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a car and driver weighing 5710 N pass a sign station with a bridge out in 23.1 m. The driver slams on her brakes, causing the car to decelerate at a constant rate of 9.94 m/s^2. The question is then raised about the amount of work done to stop the car before it falls, but it is determined that more information is needed in order to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that without additional information, it is not possible to provide a solution.
wearegay
A car and driver weighing 5710 N passes a sign station (bridge out in 23.1 m) She slams on her brakes and the car decelerates at a constant rate of 9.94 m/s^2. Accel of grav is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the ganitude of work done, stopping the car before it falls.

We don't know how to do it at all =/ help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
HELP! its due at 11 TONIGHT =)

I'm not sure how to answer your question, but if you read the forum rules, you need an attempt of some sort before you get any help. Most certainly, they will not do the question for you.

Looks like you're out of luck.

you have to know the friction of the road as well as the initial velocity in order to find out, then you would use the work-kinetic energy theorem.

You would also need to know the initial velocity and or the time that it takes for the car to stop, also, you were also talking in two components, and work is a scalar, and you didn't specify in what component. So yeah…

Sorry, cannot help you there.

Related to HELP car brakes to stop before cliff how do you find work

1. How do car brakes work?

Car brakes work by using friction to slow down or stop the rotation of the wheels. When the brake pedal is pressed, hydraulic pressure is applied to the brake pads, which then press against the brake rotors attached to the wheels. This slows down the wheels and ultimately stops the car.

2. What causes car brakes to fail?

There are several factors that can cause car brakes to fail, including worn brake pads, air or moisture in the brake lines, and faulty brake calipers. It is important to regularly check and maintain your brakes to prevent failure.

3. How can I tell if my car brakes need to be replaced?

There are a few signs that indicate it may be time to replace your car brakes. These include squeaking or grinding noises when braking, longer stopping distances, a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal, and a dashboard warning light. It is best to have a mechanic inspect your brakes if you notice any of these symptoms.

4. How do I find work as a scientist?

To find work as a scientist, it is important to have a strong educational background and relevant experience in your field of study. Networking and attending conferences and job fairs can also help you connect with potential employers. Additionally, researching and applying to job openings in your area of expertise can increase your chances of finding work.

5. What can I do if my car brakes fail while driving towards a cliff?

If your car brakes fail while driving towards a cliff, the first thing to do is to remain calm and do not panic. Try to shift into a lower gear to slow down the car, and use the emergency brake if necessary. Look for an escape route, such as a nearby turnout or soft shoulder, to steer the car towards. If all else fails, try to aim for a bushy or grassy area to reduce the impact of the fall.