Help Beginner Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the question asks for the probability of finding a particle at a given location given that you know its wave function. If you integrate over all space, you'll get the same answer regardless of whether you integrate over y and z or just x.
NeedPhysHelp8

Homework Statement

a particle is described by the normalized wave function
[tex] \psi(x,y,z) = Axe^{-\alpha x^2}e^{-\beta y^2}e^{-\gamma z^2}[/tex]
Where all constants are positive and real. The probability that the particle will be found in the infinitesimal volume dxdydz centered at point [tex] (x_{0},y_{0},z_{0}) [/tex] is [tex] \mid \psi (x_{0},y_{0},z_{0}) \mid ^2 dxdydz [/tex]

a) at what values of [tex] x_{0} [/tex] is the particle most likely to be found
b) are there any values of x for which the probability of the particle being found is zero?explain

Homework Equations

Alright so I am a newb when it comes to QM because we're just learning it now, I'm very confused with this question because it asks for probability of x when its over a region of x,y and z. Is it possible to use this [tex] \int \mid \psi (x_{0},y_{0},z_{0}) \mid ^2 dxdydz [/tex] and integrate over all space?? please can someone tell me where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is kind of poorly worded. If you integrate |psi|^2 over all space, you should get 1 (the probability of finding the particle anywhere is 1), and that let's you fix the constant A in terms of alpha, beta and gamma. What they probably mean by (a) is: for a fixed value of y and z, the neighborhood around what value of x maximizes your probability of finding the particle? In (b), they mean the same sort of thing: are there any regions of space where the particle won't be?

ok, but I still don't understand what to do...please someone just tell me where to start i'd really appreciate it this is frustrating me so much

For what value(s) of x is |psi|^2 at a maximum? For what value(s) of x is |psi|^2 0?

As chrispb noted, the question is a bit ambiguous. What I think they want you do to is find the marginal probability density px(x) and find where it's a maximum and where it's zero. To find px(x), you integrate over y and z, so you're just left with x as a variable.

chrispb suggested the other way to interpret the question. It turns out you'll get the same answer either way because of the wave function you have.

oh ok, so i integrate over all space for y and z then I'm left with x and just solve for it then? i'll give er a try

Related to Help Beginner Quantum Mechanics

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy on a small scale.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It has been used to develop many technologies, including transistors, lasers, and nuclear power.

3. What are some key concepts in beginner quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in beginner quantum mechanics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum superposition, and quantum entanglement. These concepts help explain the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How can I learn quantum mechanics as a beginner?

There are many resources available for beginners to learn quantum mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics before diving into quantum mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous real-world applications, such as in quantum computing, cryptography, and medical imaging. It has also played a crucial role in the development of modern technologies, such as computers and smartphones.