Help a Physics Student with Two Dim. Oscilator Problem

• Thread starter noamriemer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscilator
In summary, the student is seeking help with an equation and is having trouble understanding what the u_j are. They are supposed to be coordinates that are not the x and y coordinates, but they are not sure what they are. If they could understand what |x\rangle meant, they would be much closer to understanding the problem.
noamriemer
Hello! I am new here...
I am a physics student, seeking for help. There is something I just can't seem to understand...
Your help will be much appreciated...

In my exercise, I have the following Hamiltonian:
[tex]H=\frac{p_x^2}{2m}+\frac{p_y^2}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 (x^2+y^2)+\lambda xy[/tex]

I was supposed to find a transformation for which there will be no "linked" coordinates. This is what I came up with:
[tex]H=\frac{p_a^2}{2m}+\frac{p_b^2}{2m}+\frac{a^2}{2}(m\omega^2+\lambda)+\frac{b^2}{2}(m\omega^2-\lambda)[/tex]

I need to find the transition matrix. And here I am facing my problems:
The matrix is given by:
[tex]H=\left \langle u_i|H|u_j \right \rangle= \left \langle u_i|v_j \right \rangle\left \langle v_j|H|v_l \right \rangle\left \langle v_l \right |u_j\rangle[/tex]

But I can't understand... what are the [tex]u_j[/tex] ?
Does it refer to the coordinates- so in my case it will be:
[tex]H=\left \langle x|H|y \right \rangle= \left \langle x|b \right \rangle\left \langle b|H|a \right \rangle\left \langle a \right |y\rangle[/tex]

If it is so: what does [tex]|x\rangle[/tex] mean?

Thank you all so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first part you need to add and subtract terms such that there is no x*y term, or in other words, the equation can be separated into two independent equations, each dependent on only one co-ordinate.
So if you can write the equation in a new co-ordinate system a and b, like you have, then yes, it is what is required as it can be separated into two independent equations.

As for the second part, I am not a 100% about this, but ui and uj should not be the co-ordinates.

noamriemer said:
If it is so: what does [tex]|x\rangle[/tex] mean?

This is a purely localized state. A particle (wavefunction) that has an exact, 100% accurate position, but totally undefined momentum. You can imagine it as a delta function with a peak at position x. I like to think that it's the image of a drop just hitting the surface of water.

Thank you, guys... you've been great help!

Related to Help a Physics Student with Two Dim. Oscilator Problem

1. What is a two-dimensional oscillator?

A two-dimensional oscillator is a physical system that oscillates or vibrates in two directions, typically represented by two perpendicular axes. It can also refer to a system with two coupled oscillators, where the motion of one oscillator affects the motion of the other.

2. How is the motion of a two-dimensional oscillator described?

The motion of a two-dimensional oscillator is described by a set of two coupled differential equations, known as the equations of motion. These equations take into account the position, velocity, and acceleration of the oscillator in each direction.

3. What is the period of a two-dimensional oscillator?

The period of a two-dimensional oscillator is the time it takes for the oscillator to complete one full cycle of oscillation in both directions. It is dependent on the mass, spring constant, and initial conditions of the oscillator.

4. How does the amplitude affect the motion of a two-dimensional oscillator?

The amplitude of a two-dimensional oscillator is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position in both directions. It affects the energy and velocity of the oscillator, and can also impact the frequency and period of the oscillation.

5. What are some real-life examples of two-dimensional oscillators?

Some examples of two-dimensional oscillators include a pendulum swinging in two directions, a mass attached to two springs and oscillating vertically and horizontally, and a system of coupled pendulums. Two-dimensional oscillators can also be found in engineering and mechanical systems, such as vibrating structures and rotating machinery.