Hello, my name is matt and i have a problem.

• Thread starter flutieflakes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a physics lab that involves determining the weight of two objects in equilibrium. The person provides a diagram and explains the concept of torque and how to use it to find the unknown weights. The conversation ends with instructions on how to solve for M1 and M2 using two equations.
flutieflakes
howdy. I'm not too good at physics, and i have a lab due tomorrow. it isn't too complex of a problem, so help would be appreciated. if you are willing to help, say "asyemptote" and i will type the problem. thanks a bundle

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a question, post it. If not get to work on your lab.

ok here it is (i just wanted to see if anyone was still in the forum

M1 M2
| |
22cm| 78cm|
----------------------------------
6.7cm| 68cm|
| |
70g 260g

The horizontal line is a 100cm yard stick weighing 120g
The verticle lines are strings attached to weights (the ones going up are attached to pulleys)
The Lengths next to the strings are the distance from the left end of the stick to the strings.
What would I do to determine the weight of M1 and M2?
The apparatus is hanging in equilibrium.
Thanks

that didnt work too well, but imagine the weights correspond to the lenghs above or below them. (if you still don't get it, that's ok. it's a pretty confusing diagram of it.)

The "torque" of a force around a point measures how much "twist" it causes about that point and is the product of the force times the distance from the point.

What you need to do here is multiply each weight time the distance of that weight from the left end (just since that is the info you are given- since this object ISN'T "twisting", it is "balanced" about any point). Be sure to take those weights hanging down to be negative and those weight over the pulleys to be positive (their pull is upward). Use "M1" and "M2" for the unknown weights. Add all of those to get the total "torque". Since the object is in equilibrium, it is not twisting and that torque must be equal to 0. That gives you one equation. Because the object is also not moving directly up or down, the net force must also be 0: ignoring the distances, add all of the weights (again, positive for those going over the pulley, negative for those hanging down) and set that equal to 0.

You now have two equations to solve for M1 and M2.

1. What kind of problem do you have, Matt?

Hello, thank you for asking. I am currently facing a problem with my experiment in the lab.

2. Can you tell us more about your experiment?

Sure, my experiment involves studying the effects of a new medication on rats. I am trying to determine its effectiveness in treating a certain disease.

3. What challenges are you facing with your experiment?

I have been having trouble replicating the results from previous studies. I am also struggling with a few technical issues with the equipment.

4. Have you considered seeking help from other scientists?

Yes, I have consulted with my colleagues and mentors, but I am still having difficulty finding a solution to my problem.

5. Is there a deadline for your experiment?

Yes, I have a deadline to present my findings at a conference in two months. That is why I am determined to find a solution as soon as possible.