First law of thermodynamics and gaining heat

In summary, the conversation is discussing the different conventions for defining the signs of heat and work in relation to internal energy. The first case defines work as "done by the system" while the second case defines it as "done on the system." Both cases sum to the same internal energy, with the first case being historically and practically appropriate, and the second case being more convenient for chemical reasoning. The AP people have recently changed the definition to follow the traditional "chemistry" viewpoint, causing some textbooks to change their definitions. The change in energy contained by a system of matter is equal to the sum of heat and work done on it, regardless of the convention used. In regards to an expanding syringe, work is positive if the system is defined
garytse86
This is about the system and the surroundings.

I am not sure whether the signs are correct:

When the system is gaining heat, the sign is positive.
When the system is losing heat, the sign is negative.

When work is done on the system, the sign is negative.
When work is done by the system, the sign is positive.

When a syringe expands, is the work positive?

I am really having problems with the positive and negative signs because they differ with textbooks. What I thought was that the signs of heat and work are always opposite, as I stated above.

Gary

Science news on Phys.org
The internal energy, U or E, is defined as q - w in most engineering and physics texts, and as q + w in many chemistry texts. Sticking to PdV work for the moment, the first case defines w as "work done by the system;" chemists define w as "work done ON the system." In the first case w is the integral of PdV and positive when volume increases; in the second, w is minus the integral and negative when V increases. Both cases sum to the same internal energy. The first case is appropriate historically, and for engineering since interest is in "work" done by a system for a given heat input. The second case is more convenient for chemical reasoning, since it emphasizes work as being done on a system to increase its internal energy.

When a syringe expands, w is positive if the system is defined as the gas contained in the syringe, and the expansion is done against some external force, and you are working with the first definition of internal energy.

Just two years ago, the AP people decided to change the definition of positive work to follow the traditioanl "chemistry" viewpoint. THis caused five or six textbooks (at least) to change their definitions. It seems as though the definition is leaning toward "work done on system" is positive.

Either way, the first law is consistant: since work and heat are two ways of transferring energy (excluding radiation), the change in energy contained by a system of matter will be the sum of the heat that goes in plus the work done on it.

Regarding the expanding syringe, since the plunger is being pushed, a force is applied to it and it moves through a distance; therefore, work is done on the plunger by the gas. THe gas cannot do work and still retain the original amount of energy. So either way you define work, if the gas does the work on something outside the system, the system loses internal energy.

Last edited:
Originally posted by garytse86
This is about the system and the surroundings.

I am not sure whether the signs are correct ...
It doesn't matter, as long as you are consistent. We cannot answer your question directly unless you write the first law that you are using (there is only one first law, but I mean, "write the equation so we can see what you're adding and what you're subtracting.") The law refers to a system, so ΔU is the change in internal energy of the system regardless of convention (you just have to know what you're defining to be the system). Then, to really overstep my bounds and generalize the first law:

ΔU = "the influx of energy"
(This is not a definition of ΔU; this is a statement of a non-trivial physical law.)

There are then four ways to write it as there are four ways to choose the conventions:

1) W is work done to the system, and
Q is heat tranfered into the system:

ΔU = W + Q

2) W is work done to the system, and
Q is heat tranfered out from the system:

ΔU = W - Q

3) W is work done by the system, and
Q is heat tranfered into the system:

ΔU = Q - W

4) W is work done by the system, and
Q is heat tranfered out from the system:

ΔU = -W - Q

First, you must choose your preferred convention and corresponding first law equation. Then, the values that you plug in for W and Q are positive if they correspond to the conventional definition, and negative if they correspond to the complementary definition.

For some examples, assume that we have chosen convention 3). This tells us that the first law is to be written:

ΔU = Q - W

Let's say I have a canister with rigid thermally conductinvg walls (like a sealed tin can) that contains a gas at a high temperature. Then, I can use the conventional definitions to set:

W = 0, and Q = negative value (the complement of "into" is "out from").

Then, ΔU is negative over time. Physically, this means that the gas in the can will lose energy over time. This result is independent of the convention that we use, an important clue.

Let's say I have a perfectly insulated cylinder containing a gas at high temperature with a perfectly insulating massive piston on top that is being forced to compress the gas. Then, I let go of the piston and it flies upwards. The corresponding values are:

W = possitive value, and Q = 0.

Then, ΔU is again negative over time. Again, physically, this means that the gas in the can will lose energy over time, and this result is again independent of the convention that we use.

Last edited:

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is also known as the law of conservation of energy. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to gaining heat?

The first law of thermodynamics explains that the total change in energy of a system is equal to the amount of heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. So, when a system gains heat, its total energy will increase.

3. Can heat be completely converted into work according to the first law of thermodynamics?

No, according to the first law of thermodynamics, some of the heat will always be converted into work, but there will always be some amount of energy lost as heat due to the second law of thermodynamics.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

The first law of thermodynamics applies to many everyday situations, such as using a microwave to heat food or using a car engine to convert heat energy into mechanical energy. It also explains why energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only changed from one form to another.

5. What is an example of the first law of thermodynamics in action?

An example of the first law of thermodynamics is a steam engine. The heat from burning coal is used to heat water and create steam, which then expands and does work by turning a turbine. This shows the conversion of heat energy into mechanical energy, while still following the first law of thermodynamics.