Need help on a physics question [momentum in 2D]

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of momentum to solve 2D collision problems. It is important to remember that momentum is conserved and that orthogonal directions are independent. To solve these problems, one can use the equations p_x,object1,before + p_x,object2,before = p_x,objects,after and p_y,object1,before + p_y,object2,before = p_y,objects,after, along with the Pythagorean Theorem. When objects collide and stick together, their masses combine to form one mass and their velocities will be the same before and after the collision.
MtX
hi.. I am having difficulty solving 2D momentum-collision questions.. i can do linear ones but somehow i don't know what to do for 2D ones.. can someone please help me?

1. A 3.2-kg hawk soaring at 20 m/s [N] collides with a 0.50-kg sparrow flying at 5.0 m/s [W]. If both the hawk and sparrow are on the same horizontal plane, find their velocity if the hawk hangs on to the sparrow after collision.

2. A 3000-kg car traveling at 20 m/s [N] collides with a 5000-kg truck moving east on an icy road. The bumpers of the two vehicles become entangled and the vehicles remain joined after the collision. Calculate the initial speed of the truck if both vehicles after collision go [E 30 N].

Physics news on Phys.org
Just remember two things: momentum is conserved, and orthogonal directions (ones at right angles to each other, such as up-down and left-right or North-South and West-East) are independent.

So that means we can split up the directions and get:

[tex]p_\textrm{x,object1,before} + p_\textrm{x,object2,before} = p_\textrm{x,objects,after}[/tex]
and
[tex]p_\textrm{y,object1,before} + p_\textrm{y,object2,before} = p_\textrm{y,objects,after}[/tex]

By the way, shouldn't this be in the homework help forum?

cookiemonster

i used that formula to solve linear questions.. but i don't know what to do for 2D ones.. can someone show me a step to step solution please? i am trying to get a clear picture of things but its so confusing..

You're going to use the same equations. Except now there will be two of them, so you'll have to go through a bit more algebra to get to what you want.

cookiemonster

can you just show me how to do one?

Let an object of mass 100kg and velocity 10m/s traveling 30 degrees South of directly East collide with an object of mass 50kg and velocity 20m/s traveling 45 degrees North of directly East.

[tex]p_\textrm{x,object1,before} + p_\textrm{x,object2,before} = p_\textrm{x,objects,after}[/tex]

[tex]m_1v_1\cos30 + m_2v_2\cos45 = (m_1 + m_2)v_\textrm{x,a}[/tex]

[tex] (100\textrm{kg})(10\textrm{m/s})\cos30 + (50\textrm{kg})(20\textrm{m/s})\cos45 = (100\textrm{kg} + 50\textrm{kg})v_\textrm{x,a}[/tex]

[tex]v_\textrm{x,a} = \frac{(100\textrm{kg})(10\textrm{m/s})\cos30 + (50\textrm{kg})(20\textrm{m/s})\cos45}{(100\textrm{kg} + 50\textrm{kg})}[/tex]

Repeat for the y-component, keeping in mind that the first object's y component of velocity is negative.

Once you have both the x and y components, use the Pythagorean Theorem to get the total velocity.

[tex]v_\textrm{x,a}^2+v_\textrm{y,a}^2 = v_\textrm{a}^2[/tex]

cookiemonster

Last edited:
thanks.. i understand what you did, its just like linear ones but you add all the x-components and y-components... but for the examples i posted, the objects stick together after, so what will be the m1 and m2 (masses)? will there be two different masses, or will there just be one combined mass? for velocity, i know that since they stick together, the velocity will be the same, so i can use the same velocity notation..

When two objects collide and stick together their masses combine to form one mass

m1v1+m2v2=m3v3

so 2,3*20+0,5*5=2,7*v3

232,5=2,7*v3

v3=86,1111

thats a) m1 is hawk, m2 is sparrow, m3 is sparrow+hawk, v1 is velocity of hawk ect

its simple momentum... the momentum before collision is the same as after collision

1. What is momentum in 2D?

Momentum in 2D is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object in two dimensions. It is the product of an object's mass and its velocity, and is a measure of the object's motion and its resistance to changes in that motion.

2. How is momentum calculated in 2D?

Momentum in 2D is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity vector. This takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion in two dimensions.

3. What is the conservation of momentum in 2D?

The conservation of momentum in 2D is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that in a two-dimensional system, the total momentum of all objects before and after a collision or interaction will be the same.

4. How is momentum in 2D affected by collisions?

In an ideal collision, the total momentum in 2D is conserved, meaning that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Inelastic collisions, however, will result in a decrease in total momentum due to energy being lost in the form of heat or sound.

5. How does momentum in 2D relate to other physical quantities?

Momentum in 2D is closely related to other physical quantities such as force, acceleration, and energy. It is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant in the absence of external forces. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects in both two-dimensional and three-dimensional systems.