Hello,I'm revising half-life for GCSE and have come across some

In summary, the conversation is about revising half-life for GCSE and questions regarding fractions. The question asked is what fraction of the original nuclei will still be unstable after 5 half-lives, and the correct answer is 1/32. The conversation also includes a correction to a previous incorrect answer and a further explanation of how the fraction is calculated.
Molly1235
Hello,
I'm revising half-life for GCSE and have come across some questions regarding fractions.

For example, "what fraction of the original nuclei will still be unstable after 5 half-lives?"

Am I right in thinking it would be 1/20 as 1/2 x 5 = 1/20 or is that too simple?

Thanks,
Molly

Physics news on Phys.org

Molly1235 said:
Hello,
I'm revising half-life for GCSE and have come across some questions regarding fractions.

For example, "what fraction of the original nuclei will still be unstable after 5 half-lives?"

Am I right in thinking it would be 1/20 as 1/2 x 5 = 1/20 or is that too simple?

Thanks,
Molly
Yes, that's too simple ... and how is (1/2) × 5 = 1/20 ?

Think about it.

After a time of one half-life, 1/2 of the original nuclei remain unchanged.After a time of an additional half-life, 1/2 of that 1/2 of the original nuclei remain unchanged. This is a total time of two half-lives and 1/4 of the original nuclei remain unchanged.

Etc.

Yeah, thank you I just realized I was being stupid. It's 1/32 right?

Molly1235 said:
Yeah, thank you I just realized I was being stupid. It's 1/32 right?
Right ! I mean, right, it's 1/32, not right about the other thing!

Hello Molly,

You are correct in thinking that after 5 half-lives, 1/20 of the original nuclei will still be unstable. This is because for each half-life, half of the original nuclei decay, leaving half still remaining. So after 5 half-lives, we can calculate it as 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/32, which is very close to 1/20. It is important to keep in mind that the fraction of unstable nuclei decreases exponentially with each half-life, so the remaining fraction becomes smaller and smaller. I hope this helps with your revision. Good luck!

Related to Hello,I'm revising half-life for GCSE and have come across some

What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for a substance to decrease to half of its original amount through radioactive decay.

Why is half-life important in understanding radioactive substances?

Half-life is important because it allows us to predict how long it will take for a radioactive substance to decay and become stable. This information is crucial in fields such as medicine, geology, and environmental science.

How is half-life calculated?

Half-life is calculated using the equation: t1/2 = ln(2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln(2) is the natural logarithm of 2, and λ is the decay constant.

What factors can affect the half-life of a substance?

The half-life of a substance can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other elements that can speed up or slow down the rate of decay.

How can understanding half-life be applied in real life situations?

Understanding half-life can be applied in various real life situations, such as determining the safety of radioactive materials, predicting the effectiveness of medical treatments, and dating archaeological or geological artifacts.