Effect of Stopping Earth's Rotation on Gravity/Orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a film where a weapon must stop the Earth from spinning. The discussion focuses on the orbital effect of this on the Earth's rotation in relation to the sun and moon, as well as the gravitational effect on people standing on the Earth. It is mentioned that people are lighter at the equator due to centrifugal force, and the Earth's radius is slightly bigger at the equator.
Rog
I have not seen the film however in the advertising they say that they must stop a weapon that will stop the Earth spinning. I was wondering what orbital effect this would have on the Earth in realtion to the sun and moon. I also wondered what gravitational effect this would have on us standing on the earth. Basically is there any effect from rotation and centrifugal force forcing us out therefore acting against gravity from the spin. If this is the case, are we heavier if we stood at the poles and lighter at the equator due to our position in relation to the spin of the earth??

PLease forgive my newbie posting and if this is the wrong part of the forum for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Rog
I was wondering what orbital effect this would have on the Earth in realtion to the sun and moon.
None.
I also wondered what gravitational effect this would have on us standing on the earth. Basically is there any effect from rotation and centrifugal force forcing us out therefore acting against gravity from the spin. If this is the case, are we heavier if we stood at the poles and lighter at the equator due to our position in relation to the spin of the earth??
You are lighter at the equator, by about 5%, due to the centrifugal force. The core's rotation, however, doesn't matter -- only the rotation at the surface.

- Warren

Last edited:

You are lighter at the equator, by about 5%, due to the centrifugal force.

The Earth's radius is also slightly bigger at equator.

1. How would stopping Earth's rotation affect gravity?

If Earth's rotation were to suddenly stop, the gravity on the surface of the Earth would decrease slightly. This is because the centrifugal force caused by the rotation of the Earth would no longer counteract the pull of gravity, resulting in a decrease in the net force of gravity.

2. Would the Earth's orbit change if its rotation stopped?

Yes, the Earth's orbit would change if its rotation stopped. This is because the Earth's rotation is directly linked to its orbit around the sun. Without rotation, the Earth would no longer have the necessary angular momentum to maintain its current orbit and would likely spiral towards the sun.

3. How would the stopping of Earth's rotation affect the length of a day?

If Earth's rotation were to suddenly stop, the length of a day would become equal to the length of a year. This is because the Earth's rotation is what determines the length of a day, and without rotation, the Earth would no longer have days. Instead, one side of the Earth would always face the sun while the other side would always be in darkness.

4. Could stopping Earth's rotation cause catastrophic effects?

Yes, stopping Earth's rotation would have catastrophic effects on all life on Earth. The sudden change in gravity and the extreme changes in temperature and weather patterns would likely lead to mass extinction events and the destruction of ecosystems.

5. Is it possible to stop Earth's rotation artificially?

No, it is not currently possible to stop Earth's rotation artificially. The amount of energy required to stop the Earth's rotation is immense and far beyond our current technological capabilities. Additionally, any attempts to stop Earth's rotation would have disastrous consequences and are highly discouraged.