Helium compound produced, closing the last gap

In summary: The compound is an example of an electride, in which electrons make up the anions in a crystal lattice.In summary, scientists have created a new crystal that is stable only at very high pressure, and which forms at temperatures up to 1500 degrees Celsius. It is not something exotic that breaks as soon as you look at it. Na2He is interesting because it has an unusual type of bond, and it is predicted to exist at even higher pressures.
Scientists created Na2He in a diamond anvil cell. It is stable only above 113 GPa - but it forms at temperatures up to 1500 K, it is not something exotic that breaks as soon as you look at it.

Na2He is a crystal with an unusual type of bond - it does not have regular bonds, but it has electrons in free spaces binding everything together. Removing the helium would break the crystal - the helium atoms have an active role, they are not just filling gaps of a sodium crystal.

The team also predicts the existence of Na2HeO above 15 GPa. Which is still 100,000 the atmospheric pressure...

Helium is the last noble gas, and the last stable element in general, where a stable compound has been synthesized.

News at sciencealert.com
http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nchem.2716.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dextercioby, DrDu, trilobite and 5 others
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Fascinating paper. I cannot restrain from comparing it to the paper which appeared some weeks ago, where the observation of metallic hydrogen was anounced. The latter paper contained in the introduction some wild speculations about metallic hydrogen being eventually metastable at room temperature and eventually even usefull as a fuel for spacecraft , while the new paper on Na2He reported instead estimates on the lower bound of kinetic stability of the compound based on simulated phonon dispersion relations.

mfb said:
Na2He is a crystal with an unusual type of bond - it does not have regular bonds, but it has electrons in free spaces binding everything together. Removing the helium would break the crystal - the helium atoms have an active role, they are not just filling gaps of a sodium crystal.
It's interesting that they specifically mention that Na2He isn't an inclusion compound (full disclosure: I used to work on endohedral fullerenes, including He@C60, so I might be a little biased). I suppose you could call it an "exclusion compound," based on their calculations. The wavefunction of the electrons in the half-filled valence s-band in simple cubic sodium is smeared out across the entire crystal. Since helium has basically no electron affinity, introducing helium at every other octahedral hole (hole in the structural sense, not hole as in electron-hole pair) in the lattice expels the sodium valence electron density from those holes, essentially confining the valence electrons to the unoccupied octahedral holes. It's this confinement effect that causes the band gap to appear and makes Na2He look more like a salt than a metal.

mfb said:
Helium is the last noble gas, and the last stable element in general, where a stable compound has been synthesized.
I wasn't aware that any stable neon compounds had been made (except, of course, for Ne@C60 :biggrin:).

TeethWhitener said:
It's interesting that they specifically mention that Na2He isn't an inclusion compound (full disclosure: I used to work on endohedral fullerenes, including He@C60, so I might be a little biased). I suppose you could call it an "exclusion compound," based on their calculations.

The compound is an example of an electride, in which electrons make up the anions in a crystal lattice.

Here's a nice popular press article which expands upon some of the press releases and tells the story of how the research came about, the initial arxiv paper in 2013 and the three-year (!) journey through peer-review to publication in Nature Chemistry. http://www.forbes.com/sites/carmendrahl/2017/02/07/helium-sodium-compound-pressure/ [edit: just realized I forgot to insert the link]

DrDu said:
Fascinating paper. I cannot restrain from comparing it to the paper which appeared some weeks ago, where the observation of metallic hydrogen was anounced. The latter paper contained in the introduction some wild speculations about metallic hydrogen being eventually metastable at room temperature and eventually even usefull as a fuel for spacecraft , while the new paper on Na2He reported instead estimates on the lower bound of kinetic stability of the compound based on simulated phonon dispersion relations.

It is interesting to compare the two papers in light of the criticism of the metallic hydrogen paper. That the Na2He paper took three years to get through peer review and ended up in Nature Chemistry whereas the metallic hydrogen paper got published relatively quickly in Science (the arxiv pre-print was first published October 2016) perhaps speaks to the differences between the two publishers.

Last edited:
TeethWhitener said:
I wasn't aware that any stable neon compounds had been made (except, of course, for Ne@C60 :biggrin:).
Hmm, looks like they are not that stable.
Van-der-Waals molecules exist, but those break quite easily.

mfb said:
Are the electrons in this type of molecule immobile such as those of an Ionic compound, or mobile such as a metallic compound?

Comeback City said:
Are the electrons in this type of molecule immobile such as those of an Ionic compound, or mobile such as a metallic compound?

The electrons are immobile as if they were the anions in an ionic solid. Thus, as reported in the paper, the material acts as an insulator.

Likes Comeback City

Related to Helium compound produced, closing the last gap

1. What is a helium compound and how is it produced?

A helium compound is a compound that contains helium as one of its elements. It is produced by combining helium with other elements through chemical reactions in a laboratory setting.

2. What is the significance of closing the last gap in producing helium compounds?

Closing the last gap in producing helium compounds is significant because it allows for a better understanding of the properties and behavior of helium, which is a crucial element in various industries such as healthcare, aerospace, and technology.

3. How is the last gap in producing helium compounds being closed?

The last gap in producing helium compounds is being closed by conducting extensive research and experiments in the field of chemistry, specifically in the study of helium and its behavior in combination with other elements.

4. What potential applications do helium compounds have?

Helium compounds have potential applications in various fields such as superconductivity, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. They also have potential use in creating new materials with unique properties.

5. How does the production of helium compounds contribute to scientific advancement?

The production of helium compounds contributes to scientific advancement by expanding our knowledge and understanding of the properties and behavior of helium. This can lead to the development of new technologies and materials, as well as advancements in fields such as medicine and energy production.