Helicopter - Variable Air Density

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between air density and the energy required to turn helicopter blades. It is noted that the amount of energy may not directly proportional to the air density due to factors such as drag and the efficiency of creating thrust. The concept of "ground effect" is also mentioned, which can influence helicopters in a similar way as it does fixed-wing aircraft.
jaketodd
Gold Member
This is not homework.

If you descend toward the ground in a helicopter, the density of the air is going to increase. I'm curious: Is the amount of energy required to turn the blades directly proportional to the density of the air? For instance: If the air density doubles, does the energy to turn the helicopter blades double (with a constant rate of blade rotation through both scenarios)?

Thanks,

Jake

Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly. Because the chopper needs the same amount of lift at all times accept when accelerating up or down, as it decends, it needs to move less volume of air. Drag will probably increase a little, but not in direct proportion to the air density.

It's possible the amount of energy would decreases as you approach the ground, rather than increases. The reason is that the lift force is related to the change or momentum of the air, not the change of energy, and in general it is a more efficient use of energy to create thrust by moving a large mass or air slowly, rather than a small mass of air fast.

But I don't claim to be an expert of helicopter rotors, so I'm only saying that is "possible", not that it's a "fact".

First of all, your question is obviously a very abstract model. If any half-way realistic approximation tried to maintain the same rotation speed in denser air, it would simply shoot away with increased lifting power.

Couple that with the fact that the airflow around the blades isn't laminar in nature, it is or can be very much turbulent, thank you. This means that if you find an answer to your question which can fit in this space, please inform Sykorsky and you are set for life :-)

With those caveats, the answer to you question has to be yes - simply because the blades need to displace a larger mass of air which will take away kinetic energy directly proprtional to the mass of the displaced air. However, this is so far removed from reality, I hesitate to even call it an answer.

I'm not a round-wing weirdie, but I would love to get my mitts on one sometime before I croak (preferably not immediately before I croak...) While I'm familiar with autorotation and other principles, there is one thing that I've never seen addressed. Does "ground effect" influence whirlybirds in anything similar to the way it does fixed-wing critters?

Danger said:
Does "ground effect" influence whirlybirds in anything similar to the way it does fixed-wing critters?

Absolutely. As I remember from the history of the issue, one of the major challenges for tne early attempts was to demostrate that what they got is a true chopper as opposed to hovercraft which depends on the condensed/compressed air cushion to stay afloat.

Cool. Thanks, Grizz.

Related to Helicopter - Variable Air Density

1. What is variable air density and how does it affect helicopters?

Variable air density refers to the changes in air density due to factors such as altitude, temperature, and pressure. This can greatly affect helicopters as they rely on air density to generate lift and stay airborne. As air density decreases, helicopters will need to increase their power and speed to maintain lift. Conversely, as air density increases, the helicopter may need to decrease power and speed to prevent overloading the rotors.

2. How do pilots account for variable air density when flying a helicopter?

Pilots must constantly monitor and adjust for changes in air density while flying a helicopter. This can be done through instruments such as an altimeter and airspeed indicator. They must also consider the effects of temperature, humidity, and pressure when calculating the helicopter's performance and making necessary adjustments to maintain safe flight.

3. Why is it important for helicopter pilots to understand variable air density?

Understanding variable air density is crucial for helicopter pilots to ensure safe and efficient flight. Failure to account for changes in air density can lead to loss of control and potentially dangerous situations. Pilots must also be able to recognize and adjust to changes in air density to maximize the performance of the helicopter.

4. Can variable air density affect helicopter operations in different regions?

Yes, variable air density can greatly affect helicopter operations in different regions. For example, flying at a high altitude in a mountainous region will result in lower air density, requiring the helicopter to use more power to maintain lift. Similarly, flying in a hot and humid climate will also result in lower air density and affect the helicopter's performance. Pilots must be aware of these variations and make necessary adjustments to ensure safe flight.

5. Is there a way to predict and prepare for changes in air density while flying a helicopter?

Yes, there are tools and techniques that pilots can use to predict and prepare for changes in air density while flying a helicopter. These include pre-flight planning, monitoring weather conditions, and using instruments to measure and track changes in air density. Pilots must also have a thorough understanding of their helicopter's performance capabilities and how they may be affected by changes in air density.