Helicopter construction tips wanted

In summary, the conversation discusses building a helicopter and the speaker's hesitation and warning against doing so without proper experience and certification.
milesglev
So my friend and I are building a helicopter this summer. I was designing the propeller blades and could not figure out what angle a stood for in the pitch equation
a=arctan(P/2pi*r)
P=tan(a)2pi*r)
Also if anyone has any tips or has done this, any advice would be extremely helpful!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate to [STRIKE]pis[/STRIKE]... uh, er... rain on your parade, but the general rule is:
If you build a helicopter, do not get in it. It's different if you're terminal and your wife has an awesome insurance policy on you, but otherwise buy a kit or a pre-built machine. I know how they work, and I know how to fly one, and I'm something of a genius, but I would not dream of designing and building my own chopper. Also, there's a pretty good chance that you couldn't get it certified for airworthiness by your national regulatory agency.

uhhhhhh I'm 17
I think I got this

Jeez, I hope this is a joke...

that would be a negative

milesglev said:
uhhhhhh I'm 17
I think I got this

Travis_King said:
Jeez, I hope this is a joke...

milesglev said:
that would be a negative

Thread closed as a dangerous activity. If you can convince me via PM that you are truly capable of doing this safely, I may re-open the thread.

Related to Helicopter construction tips wanted

1. How do I choose the right materials for my helicopter construction?

The construction materials for a helicopter should be lightweight, strong, and able to withstand high temperatures and stress. Common materials used include aluminum, titanium, and composite materials such as carbon fiber. It's important to carefully research and consult with experts to determine the best materials for your specific helicopter design.

2. What are some key design considerations for building a helicopter?

Some important factors to consider when designing a helicopter include weight distribution, center of gravity, rotor placement and size, and aerodynamics. It's essential to carefully plan and test the design to ensure stability and safety.

3. How can I ensure proper safety measures are taken during helicopter construction?

Safety should be a top priority during helicopter construction. It's important to follow all safety regulations and guidelines, use proper protective gear, and regularly inspect and maintain all equipment. Consulting with experienced professionals and attending safety trainings can also be helpful.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in helicopter construction?

Some common mistakes in helicopter construction include using incorrect materials, improper weight distribution, and not properly calculating the center of gravity. It's also important to carefully follow all instructions and guidelines for assembly and testing to avoid potential errors.

5. How can I improve the efficiency and performance of my helicopter?

To improve the efficiency and performance of a helicopter, it's important to regularly maintain and inspect all components, use high-quality materials, and continuously test and make adjustments to the design. Consulting with experts and staying up-to-date on advancements in technology can also help improve efficiency and performance.