Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle - Seems like an easy question?

In summary, based on the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle, the minimum uncertainties in velocity for a 900 kg boulder, a proton with the same uncertainty in position, and an electron with the same uncertainty in position are 7.36*10^-28 m/s, 396.7 m/s, and 7.28*10^5 m/s, respectively. However, using the more precise form of the HUP, which includes a factor of 1/4 pi, may result in slightly different values. The significant digits may also affect the final answer.
tnbstudent
Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle - Seems like an easy question??

Homework Statement

The position of a 900 kg boulder's center of mass has been determined to within an uncertainty of 1.0 nm. (a) What is the minimum uncertainty in the boulder's velocity? (b) Repeat the calculation, but for a proton with the same uncertainty in position. (c) Repeat the calculation, but for an electron with the same uncertainty in position.

Homework Equations

Δx*Δp ~ h
Assuming that there is no uncertainty in the measurement of mass,
Δx*mΔv = h
where Δv is the uncertainty in the measurement of velocity.
Δv = h / Δx *m

h = 6.6256 *10^-34 J-s
m = 900 kg for boulder
mp = 1.6725*10^-27 kg for proton
me = 9.1*10^-31 kg for electron.
Δx = 1.0*10^-9 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I did each of these the same way. Plugged in the variables using this equation:
Δv = h / (Δx *m)
The answers I got are:
a. 7.36*10^-28 m/s
b. 396.7 m/s
c. 7.28*10^5 m/s

I'm hoping I've made a silly error somewhere, but I've been unable to find it.

Physics news on Phys.org

The more precise form of the HUP is:
[tex] \Delta x \Delta p \ge \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]
(wikipedia:Plank's Constant)
That will give you a factor of 1/4 pi in your answers.

What makes you think you've made an error?

Thanks for the help.
I used the link from jambaugh and that equation helped. I got a, but it still won't accept b&c. It is really picky about significant digits.

I'm not sure why the uncertainty in velocity for the electron is so much larger than the other two.
I would like to point out that the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and is not related to the uncertainty in measurements of macroscopic objects. The principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle. Therefore, trying to apply this principle to the measurements of a boulder or a proton may not be appropriate.

That being said, the answers you have calculated seem to be reasonable based on the given information and the equations you have used. However, it is important to note that the uncertainty in velocity for the electron is larger because it has a much smaller mass compared to the boulder and the proton. The uncertainty in velocity is inversely proportional to the mass, so a smaller mass will result in a larger uncertainty in velocity.

In conclusion, while the calculations you have done are correct, it is important to understand the limitations of the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle and its applicability to different scales of objects.

Related to Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle - Seems like an easy question?

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know with absolute certainty both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This principle is a consequence of the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles can behave both as a wave and a particle.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. Heisenberg was one of the pioneers of quantum mechanics and his work on the uncertainty principle revolutionized the field.

3. How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, where the position and momentum of a particle were thought to be measurable with absolute accuracy. This principle forces us to accept the inherent uncertainty and unpredictability in the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Can the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and cannot be violated. It is not a limitation of our measurement tools, but rather a fundamental property of particles at the quantum level.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has many practical applications, including in technologies such as electron microscopes and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography, where the behavior of particles at the quantum level is harnessed for technology and communication purposes.