Heisenberg indeterminacy principle

In summary, according to the uncertainty principle, the minimum uncertainty in the position of an electron is 0, given that we know nothing about its speed except that it is slower than the speed of light. This is based on the relativistic version of the uncertainty principle, where ΔxΔv >= m^2/(2* E^3) and p can rise unbounded as v approaches c.
penmanta0711
No object can travel faster than the speed of light, so it
would appear evident that the uncertainty in the speed of
any object is at most 3 * 10^8 m s
(a) What is the minimum uncertainty in the position
of an electron, given that we know nothing about
its speed except that it is slower than the speed of
light?

Known
(Δx)(Δp)=h/4∏ hence Δx=h/4∏(mass of e-)(velocity)
Mass of e-=9.10x10^-31 kg
Velocity is equal to 3x10^8 m s
I plug in my values and came up with 3.049 x10^-59meters
My answer seems a bit wonky..could you double check..and if wrong give me hints to solve properly...thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a relativistic version of the uncertainty principle, ΔxΔv >= m2/(2* E3) where we are using units such that c = h-bar = 1. E = √p2+m2. where m is the rest mass and p is the relativistic momentum p = λmv. p can rise unbounded as v → c and thus so can E. Δv = c = 1, so Δx >= 0. The minimum uncertainty is 0. Or so I'd like to think.

Related to Heisenberg indeterminacy principle

1. What is the Heisenberg indeterminacy principle?

The Heisenberg indeterminacy principle, also known as the uncertainty principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg indeterminacy principle?

The Heisenberg indeterminacy principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927 as part of his uncertainty principle, which also includes the uncertainty of energy and time.

3. How does the Heisenberg indeterminacy principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Heisenberg indeterminacy principle challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, which assumes that properties of particles can be known with absolute certainty. Instead, it suggests that the behavior of particles at the quantum level is inherently unpredictable and uncertain.

4. Can the Heisenberg indeterminacy principle be observed in everyday life?

No, the effects of the Heisenberg indeterminacy principle are only observable at the subatomic level. In our everyday world, the uncertainty is too small to be noticeable and is overshadowed by the larger scale of objects and events.

5. How does the Heisenberg indeterminacy principle relate to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg indeterminacy principle is closely related to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that particles do not have a definite position or momentum until they are measured, and the act of measurement itself can affect the outcome.