Heisenberg and the wave-particle dualism

• I
  • Thread starter parton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heisenberg
In summary, Heisenberg discusses the wave-particle dualism in his book on physics and philosophy, explaining how the mathematical formalism can be transformed between the Newtonian mechanics and wave equation representations. This is known as the Heisenberg and Schrödinger pictures, which are mathematically equivalent but offer different perspectives on quantum physics. The ease of switching between these pictures reflects the flexibility of the formalism and highlights the duality between waves and particles.
parton
Hi!

I am a bit confused about something Heisenberg said about the wave-particle dualism.
In his book about physics and philosophy he wrote:

"The dualism between the two complementary pictures - waves and particles - is also clearly brought out in the flexibility of the mathematical scheme. The formalism is normally written to resemble Newtonian mechanics, with equations of motion for the co-ordinates and the momenta of the particles. But by a simple transformation it can be rewritten to resemble a wave equation for an ordinary three-dimenslonal matter wave."

Could anyone tell me how these equations and in particular, this "simple transformation" explicitly looks like?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to learn physics from a 60 years old popular text?

Likes PeroK
If I had to guess, I would say Heisenberg is referring to the ease that one can switch between different "pictures" in quantum physics.

In the Heisenberg picture, the observables evolve in time, while the quantum state is fixed.
In the Schrödinger picture, the observables are fixed, while the quantum state evolves in time.

When it comes down to computing any probabilities or observable statistics, these two pictures are mathematically identical, though sometimes one picture ends up being easier to use than the other.

For a fuller description, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenberg_picture

Likes parton
parton said:
Could anyone tell me how these equations and in particular, this "simple transformation" explicitly looks like?

Have you tried looking up "Schrodinger Equation"?

Likes parton
Orodruin said:
Are you trying to learn physics from a 60 years old popular text?
No, actually I already studied physics some time ago. But now when I read this text from Heisenberg (which is quite interesting to read even nowadays), I am not sure what he really means at this point.

jfizzix said:
If I had to guess, I would say Heisenberg is referring to the ease that one can switch between different "pictures" in quantum physics.
But is there really a connection between the different pictures and the wave-particle-dualism? Or is there something else in the mathematical formalism that reflects this dualism?

parton said:
"The dualism between the two complementary pictures - waves and particles - is also clearly brought out in the flexibility of the mathematical scheme. The formalism is normally written to resemble Newtonian mechanics, with equations of motion for the co-ordinates and the momenta of the particles. But by a simple transformation it can be rewritten to resemble a wave equation for an ordinary three-dimenslonal matter wave."

Google Heisenberg picture and Schrodinger picture.
A compact summary is given here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger_picture#Summary_comparison_of_evolution_in_all_pictures

Likes parton
Ok, now I understand. You are right. Indeed, it is related to the different pictures, I just needed to remember :)
Thank you very much!

Likes Demystifier

Related to Heisenberg and the wave-particle dualism

What is the wave-particle duality?

The wave-particle duality is a concept in quantum mechanics that explains the dual nature of particles. It states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, depending on how they are observed or measured.

Who is Heisenberg and what is his contribution to the wave-particle duality?

Werner Heisenberg was a German physicist who is best known for his contributions to quantum mechanics, specifically the development of the uncertainty principle. He also played a key role in the development of the wave-particle duality concept, which he described in his famous uncertainty principle paper in 1927.

How does the wave-particle duality affect our understanding of the physical world?

The wave-particle duality challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world, as it suggests that particles can behave in ways that are not intuitive to us. This concept has led to many groundbreaking discoveries in quantum mechanics and has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe.

What experiments have been conducted to support the wave-particle duality?

There have been many experiments conducted to support the wave-particle duality, including the famous double-slit experiment. This experiment demonstrated that particles can exhibit wave-like behavior, as they can interfere with themselves when passing through two slits. Other experiments, such as the photoelectric effect, also support the concept of wave-particle duality.

Is the wave-particle duality still a topic of debate in the scientific community?

While the wave-particle duality is widely accepted in the scientific community, it is still a topic of ongoing research and debate. Scientists continue to explore the intricacies of this concept and how it applies to different phenomena, leading to new and exciting discoveries in the field of quantum mechanics.