Soluble metal ion to make heavy water?

In summary: Flow-based experiments usually have a higher uncertainty, due to the lack of control over the flow rate. Constant pressure experiments typically have a lower uncertainty, as the pressure is known and can be controlled. However, at the lab scale, it's difficult to achieve both of these things.
Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Hi people. I am asking this for a friend, and he's not here right now, so I'm doing my best to remember exactly what it was that he was looking for, but I know that he is looking for something which is soluble, and I think he said Metal Ion, which is non-toxic etc, that can be used to make heavier water...

I know 'Heavy Water' uses Deuterium (Or whichever Isotope of Hydrogen it is), but I think he is looking for some additive solute to achieve a similar ends...

Anyone have any ideas? How do u make an alternative heavy water?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Common salt. Very soluble, actually shrinks the volume of water, adds sodium and chlorine ions to the water. Other salts might be more soluble and more massive, but table salt is very easy to obtain. Also epsom salts would do. You can get them at the drug store.

Njorl

Originally posted by Another God
I know 'Heavy Water' uses Deuterium (Or whichever Isotope of Hydrogen it is), but I think he is looking for some additive solute to achieve a similar ends...
"Heavy water" isn't at all similar to what you described in your first paragraph. It isn't noticeably different from regular water unless you have a pretty accurate scale.

Salt is highly soluble in water and you could probably double the weight density by dissolving enough salt in it.

What exactly is the point of this? It may help us help you.

He is looking to reduce the height necessary for a water experiment which requires significant pressure head height to behave properly. If he can reduce the head height/pressure then the apparatus can be made smaller. Also Chlorine is very corrosive so something more inert would be nice. Something heavier than sodium would also be an advantage.

Thanx

Static pressure, or is this a flow type experiment?

Does it have to be a liquid manometer? How about an electronic one?

Originally posted by Another God
He is looking to reduce the height necessary for a water experiment which requires significant pressure head height to behave properly. If he can reduce the head height/pressure then the apparatus can be made smaller. Also Chlorine is very corrosive so something more inert would be nice. Something heavier than sodium would also be an advantage.

Thanx

Lithium heteropolytungstate solutions would do. They might be expensive to obtain, and have some toxicity issues though.

Of course, there's always mercury, but it would probably be better not to mess with it.

Njorl

Originally posted by Bystander
Static pressure, or is this a flow type experiment?
It's flow based.

And the toxic additives aren't really options, but thanks for trying Njorl

This is starting to sound ugly --- flow, constant(?) head, and no additives --- can he (she? it?) stand the chatter from a regulator? or, is part of the experiment the milimetric uncertainty of a constant head device? Flow AND constant pressure are a tough order at the lab scale --- slip us a little more in the way of specs --- flow rate ranges, pressure ranges, acceptable uncertainties at the range extremes.

1. What is heavy water?

Heavy water, also known as deuterium oxide, is a form of water that contains a higher concentration of the isotope deuterium (or heavy hydrogen) than regular water.

2. How is heavy water made?

Heavy water can be made through various methods, but one common way is by separating the deuterium isotope from regular water using electrolysis or distillation techniques.

3. Why is a soluble metal ion used to make heavy water?

A soluble metal ion, such as palladium, is used in the production of heavy water because it acts as a catalyst in the separation process. It helps to facilitate the exchange of hydrogen and deuterium atoms in the water molecules.

4. What are some common soluble metal ions used in making heavy water?

Aside from palladium, other commonly used soluble metal ions in the production of heavy water include platinum, rhodium, and ruthenium.

5. Is heavy water safe for consumption?

Heavy water is not toxic and is safe for consumption in small amounts. However, it is typically not used for drinking due to its high cost and rarity. It is more commonly used in industrial and scientific applications.