Height of bullet at top of trajectory

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the trajectory of a bullet fired at 1000mph. The first part asks at what height the bullet will reach if fired straight up, while the second part asks for the angle and height if it is shot at an initial speed of 1000mph and has a speed of 100mph at the height of its trajectory. There are suggestions to use kinematics equations or energy to solve the problem.
calnpals
Ok guys, I'm stuck on this question I was wondering if you could help me out.

Its actually in 2 parts (2nd part harder than 1st part).

1st part: At what height will a bullet reach if fired at 1000mph straight up (excluding all other forces except gravity)

2nd part: At what angle would a bullet that is shot at 1000mph have to be shot at to have a speed of 100mph at the height of its trajectory, and what height would it reach?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be better if you showed some of your work.
Anyway, for the first part you just need a basic kinimatics equation
( V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax) or you could use energy.
And for the second part, at the height of the trajectory the only speed is along the x-axis and the speed along that axis is the same throughout the whole trip. Does that make it any easier?

calnpals said:
Ok guys, I'm stuck on this question I was wondering if you could help me out.

Its actually in 2 parts (2nd part harder than 1st part).

1st part: At what height will a bullet reach if fired at 1000mph straight up (excluding all other forces except gravity)

2nd part: At what angle would a bullet that is shot at 1000mph have to be shot at to have a speed of 100mph at the height of its trajectory, and what height would it reach?

Thanks
How do you start ? What formula's will you use and more importantly why ?

marlon

Related to Height of bullet at top of trajectory

1. What is the height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory?

The height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory depends on various factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance. On average, a bullet fired from a typical rifle will reach a height of about 100 meters at the top of its trajectory.

2. How does air resistance affect the height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory. As the bullet travels through the air, it experiences a force that opposes its motion, causing it to slow down and lose height. This effect is more pronounced at higher velocities and can be reduced by using more aerodynamically efficient bullets.

3. Does the angle of launch affect the height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory?

Yes, the angle of launch does affect the height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory. The higher the angle of launch, the higher the bullet will travel before reaching its peak height. However, a very high angle of launch can also decrease the overall distance the bullet will travel before hitting the ground.

4. Can the height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory be calculated?

Yes, the height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory can be calculated using the projectile motion equations. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time of flight to determine the maximum height reached by the bullet.

5. How can the height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory be measured?

The height of a bullet at the top of its trajectory can be measured using various methods such as using a rangefinder or a ballistic calculator. These tools use data such as the initial velocity and angle of launch to calculate the bullet's trajectory and determine its maximum height. Alternatively, the height can also be measured by physically marking the location where the bullet reaches its peak height and then measuring the distance from the ground.