Heh, 'edit' button doesn't work for me

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
In summary, on Windows, right-clicking the edit button and then left-clicking on either "Open Link in New Window" or "Open Link in New Tab" works to open the post in a new window or tab. However, left-clicking on the edit button doesn't work in Firefox 1.0.7.
heartless
I don't know why, but I cannot edit any posts. When I press 'edit' I'm waiting minutes, and then a box "connection time out" pops out. Is it working for you guys?
And if anyone found time, would you please correct and bring together my posts in 'I hate essays!' /GD
I don't feel quite good when thread is so messed up. Or as soon, as edit button starts to work, I'll fix it myself.
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a copy of the post I made in heartless's thread in General Discussion.

I, too, have been having trouble with left-clicking the edit button.

I find that right-clicking the edit button still works - right-click the edit button and then left-click on either "Open Link in New Window" or "Open Link in New Tab".

Regards,
George

On Windows...
The edit button seems to work fine in Internet Explorer 6.

There's a problem in Firefox 1.0.7... but (as George Jones says) right-click to get the menu then open in a new window or in a new tab. Middle-click can also get you to the new tab. Clicking on the post number, then clicking edit works.

Just for fun,
I tried the edit "button" in lynx and in w3m... and it works there.
However, it doesn't work in links... the button doesn't show up.

Firefox 1.0.7?! That is old! :smile:

On topic for a second here, I do sometimes notice a delay in the edit button, but this is not very often. Using firefox 1.5.0.3 on Windows XP.

I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.3 and there's nothing wrong with the Edit button. It still works fine for me... :)
What browser do you use? IE?

In Firefox 1.0.8 (gentoo linux) left-clicking on the edit button doesn't work at all. But [thanks to George Jones] I see that right-clicking does the trick.

I too presently have this problem on Firefox, but not in IE. The trick is described by George. Opening in a new window or tab seems to fix the inability to edit. Alternatively you can click the post number (in the top right corner of the post box), which opens the post in a new window. Edit will work in this window - the Zz kludge to editing in PF.

robphy said:
There's a problem in Firefox 1.0.7...

Yes, after checking, I have found that here at home I use Firefox 1.5.0.3, whie my computer at work runs Firefox 1.0.7, and I only have problems at work.

However, until about a week ago or so, the edit button worked fine at work.

Regards,
George

Related to Heh, 'edit' button doesn't work for me

1. Why is the "edit" button not working for me?

The most common reason for the "edit" button not working is due to technical issues with the website or browser. It could be a temporary glitch or a compatibility issue.

2. How can I fix the "edit" button not working?

First, try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache. If that doesn't work, try accessing the website on a different browser. If the issue persists, contact the website's technical support for further assistance.

3. Is there a specific reason why the "edit" button isn't working?

There could be multiple reasons why the "edit" button isn't working, such as a bug in the website's code, a problem with your internet connection, or an outdated browser. It's best to troubleshoot the issue to determine the specific reason.

4. Can I still make edits without using the "edit" button?

If the "edit" button is not working, you can try using a different method to make edits, such as using keyboard shortcuts or accessing the editing feature through a different page on the website. If these options are not available, you may need to wait until the issue with the "edit" button is resolved.

5. How long does it usually take for the "edit" button to start working again?

The time it takes for the "edit" button to start working again varies depending on the cause of the issue. If it is a temporary glitch, it may start working again within a few minutes. However, if it is a more significant technical issue, it may take longer for the problem to be resolved.