Heaviside Step Potential - Tunneling

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a quantum mechanics textbook and the difficulty in understanding the transmission coefficient. The coefficient is justified by the conservation of probability current and can also be thought of as a ratio of velocities. However, there is confusion on why the standard ratio of terms does not work in this situation.
klawlor419
I'm working on a basic potential step problem from Griffiths QM. Its problem 2.34 in the textbook. I am having trouble understanding the transmission coefficient in this problem. I realize that I can calculate the reflection coefficient and just do 1 minus the result but I am looking for something more physical.

I understand the probability current view of the issue. Which is that the probability current must be conserved. Due to the fact that there is a different amount of energy on both sides of the well, the way in which this is justified is when you have the extra coefficient in front of the transmission coefficient.

I am missing the physicality of this coefficient. At least in the way that I am trying to think of it. Which perhaps is just wrong. Griffiths mentioned something about considering the wave speeds. Basically the factor turned out to be a ratio of the velocities in the following way,
$$\frac{v_{II}}{v_{I}}=\sqrt{\frac{E-V_0}{E}}$$
So that the transmission coefficient is,
$$T=\frac{v_{II}}{v_{I}}\frac{{\lvert C \rvert}^2}{\lvert {A}\rvert^2}$$
I don't understand this result though. At least not entirely. (As a note - I am assuming that Region II is the region where the potential step is. And that Region I has no potential.)

It seems to make sense that as the speed of the particle in Region II gets really small the tunneling probability is small. It has less energy, and is less likely to reach infinity. Let's say that we could fix $$v_{II}$$ and make $$v_{I}$$ larger, I don't necessarily understand why the tunneling probability would go zero.

My thought is that if it has more energy on the left side of the step shouldn't there be a larger probability of transmission? If there is more energy on the zero potential side of the step when the particle mets the step it should have more energy, which makes me think that it should be more likely to tunnel through.

If someone could help me clear up my confusion it would be greatly appreciated. I think that I am over-thinking the factor. I can't find the logic for why it should be there unless I consider the probability current, and I would like another explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Maybe this was just a dumb question.. feel free to call it like it is

You can think of it as a ratio of fluxes. The flux is the probability per unit time to see the particle pass by you. The square of the wave function gives you a probability per unit length, so you have to multiply this by a velocity to get probability per unit time.

A more sophisticated version of this is to compute the probability current. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_current

Cheers, thanks for the response. I see why it is a probability per unit time now. Why can't I just look at the ratio of the outgoing and incoming amplitudes? Because the energies are different on the step sides? Why does that matter? I'm still missing something.. I understand the probability current derivation but I don't understand why the standard ratio of terms doesn't work.

Related to Heaviside Step Potential - Tunneling

What is a Heaviside Step Potential?

A Heaviside Step Potential is a sudden change in potential energy that occurs when a particle encounters a barrier or potential well.

What is tunneling in relation to Heaviside Step Potential?

Tunneling is the phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This can occur with Heaviside Step Potential when the potential energy suddenly changes from a high value to a lower value.

How does the height and width of the potential barrier affect tunneling?

The height and width of the potential barrier have a significant impact on tunneling. A higher barrier requires more energy for the particle to tunnel through, while a wider barrier allows for a greater probability of tunneling to occur. This is due to the fact that a wider barrier provides more possible paths for the particle to tunnel through.

What factors influence the probability of tunneling?

The probability of tunneling is influenced by several factors, including the energy of the particle, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the distance the particle needs to travel to tunnel through the barrier. Additionally, the mass and charge of the particle also play a role in determining the probability of tunneling.

What are some real-world applications of Heaviside Step Potential and tunneling?

Heaviside Step Potential and tunneling have many applications in various fields of science and technology. Some examples include quantum computing, scanning tunneling microscopy, and tunneling diodes in electronics. They also play a crucial role in nuclear fusion reactions and the tunneling of particles in particle accelerators.