Heating water with a wind turbine

In summary: I will have to think about it more and get back to you.In summary, a water heating element can be connected directly to a wind turbine to collect the heat into a water tank. This would work even if the wind is low. There is a risk of the turbine being stalled if a high wattage heating element is used, but a simpler system using multiple smaller heating elements could be used.
RobertSll
Hello,
I know there is a similar topic but it has been closed.
It is about a wind turbine that generates wild AC from 0 to 240V(open voltage) for a maximum of 1500W. Instead of using a charge controller, a battery bank and an inverter I would like to connect a water heating element directly to the wind turbine and collect the heat into a water tank. My understanding is that if I put a 240V/ high wattage element then the turbine will be stalled and I would collect nothing until strong winds kick in. If I choose a 12V/low wattage element it will burn in strong winds. So I would like to use 20 elements of 12V low wattage that will be gradually connected in series by a device. My question is: is there any device that could do that? Connect the first element for an output of 0-15V, then connect the second element if voltage is between 15-30V, and so on until in very strong winds it will connect the 20th element?

Science news on Phys.org
It sounds unnecessarily complicated if all you want to do is collect some wind energy as electricity in order to heat water.
All you need is to figure out what sort of power rating is appropriate for the heating element, - probably something like an electric kettle element.
Then acquire a generator to match it, which would produce a maximum power output below that which could damage the heating element.
(You could go further and add additional safety features like a fuse or a circuit breaker or even a transistor based current limiter if overpowering is still thought to be possible)
If the wind is low it will simply produce less electricity and so therefore less heat, but there will still be some amount of heat, although there will be a limit below which the amount of heating is of no real use.

Last edited:
Likes RobertSll
RobertSll said:
My understanding is that if I put a 240V/ high wattage element then the turbine will be stalled and I would collect nothing until strong winds kick in.
This is probably incorrect. Your 1500W, 240V heating element has a resistance of 2402/1500=38.4 ohms. At lower voltages, it will simply produce lower wattages, e.g., 590W at 150V and 65W at 50V. However, if it's the turbine suppler telling you this, you might talk to another supplier.

Likes RobertSll
insightful said:
This is probably incorrect. Your 1500W, 240V heating element has a resistance of 2402/1500=38.4 ohms. At lower voltages, it will simply produce lower wattages, e.g., 590W at 150V and 65W at 50V. However, if it's the turbine suppler telling you this, you might talk to another supplier.
Well then it makes it all easy and I only have to buy 1 big element. It was just my assumption that the turbine will be stalled because I made some tests with my generator and small load made it easier for the generator to spin, and the more load I was adding the harder it was to spin it

You *could* use multiple smaller heating elements along with a fairly elaborate switching system to turn individual elements on and off depending on the present output of the generator.
However I very much doubt this would noticeably improve overall efficiency and you would also need to be supplying power to the switching gear and related circuitry.
(In addition there are more potential parts that can fail eventually if you go that route)

Likes RobertSll
Thank you guys for the answers.

Related to Heating water with a wind turbine

What is a wind turbine?

A wind turbine is a device that uses the power of wind to generate electricity. It typically consists of three main parts: blades, a rotor, and a generator. As the wind blows, it turns the blades, which then spin the rotor connected to the generator, producing electricity.

How does a wind turbine heat water?

A wind turbine can heat water by using the electricity it generates to power an electric heating element. This heating element heats up the water in a tank or cylinder, similar to a traditional water heater. The heated water can then be used for various purposes such as hot showers, washing dishes, or heating a home.

What are the benefits of heating water with a wind turbine?

Heating water with a wind turbine has several benefits. Firstly, it is a renewable and sustainable source of energy, as wind is a natural and abundant resource. It also reduces reliance on fossil fuels, which are non-renewable and contribute to climate change. Additionally, using a wind turbine can lower energy bills and save money in the long run.

Are there any limitations to heating water with a wind turbine?

While wind turbines can be a great source of energy, there are a few limitations to consider. The amount of electricity generated by a wind turbine is dependent on the wind speed, so if there is low wind or no wind at all, it may not produce enough electricity to heat water. Additionally, the initial cost of installing a wind turbine can be expensive, although it can eventually pay off in energy savings.

Can a wind turbine be used to heat water for large-scale purposes?

Yes, a wind turbine can be used to heat water for large-scale purposes. In fact, wind turbines are often used in commercial or industrial settings to provide hot water for large buildings or facilities. Multiple wind turbines can also be connected to a larger grid to generate more electricity for heating water or other purposes on a larger scale.