Heating Elements for Experiments

In summary, the person is discussing their final year project, which involves heating air in a 1m x 1m x 1m insulated box using phase change materials. They are considering using a low power fan heater, but are concerned about the fan blowing hot air and resulting in inaccurate temperature readings. They also mention the possibility of using a probe thermometer to measure temperature at different locations in the box. Other suggestions include using multiple light bulbs and placing the fan heater inside the box.
delta720
Hi,

As part of my final year project I have to heat air within an exclosed environment (i.e. a 1m x 1m x 1m insulated box) to test the effectiveness of using phase change materials to regulate ambient air temperature.

To do this I need to slowly heat the air inside the box at a rate that will allow the walls (plasterboard) to increase in temperature roughly at the same rate as the air.

A similar experimant was done in my college several years ago and that student used a 200W light bulb, however it took around 12 hours to increase the temperature by 8 degrees, so there was clearly massive heat loss.

I've thought of using a low power fan heater but I think the fan blowing the hot air will result in the thermometers picking up a higher temperature then what the walls actually are. If i just use the heating element from the fan and allow convection currents to form in the box to slowly heat all the walls would this result in the element overheating and pose a fire risk?

Cheers,

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
The fan heater seems like a good idea, however there has to be an actual air flow. You can't blow air into a sealed box, so you need an exit for the air. This should be well away from the input, though.

The element of a fan heater is designed to have air flowing across it or it will overheat, as you mention. Try blocking the air flow and watch the element go red hot.

You can measure the air temperature at a place in the box which is not directly in the path of the air flow. This would be better if you cut the air flow from the fan heater for a minute or so before you take the measurement.

You can get probe thermometers which have a digital thermometer attached to a rigid rod which you can poke through a hole to measure temperature.
You could have several holes and keep records for each hole.

You can buy replacement elements for ovens but these require mains voltage, so you would need to get it wired up safely.

Blankets or pieces of carpeting will help insulate the box if you attach them to the outside of the box.

How about FOUR 200w light bulbs!

BilPrestonEsq said:
How about FOUR 200w light bulbs!

Maybe, but you would need some fans in there as well.

Just a suggestion, but, how would it go if you put the fan heater inside the box.

Then it would get air that was already heated and heat it some more as well as spreading it around the inside of the box.

You would have to monitor the temperature or it could become a fan forced oven and melt the plastic of the heater.

Hello Dave,

Thank you for sharing your project with me. Heating air within an enclosed environment can be a challenging task, especially when trying to regulate the temperature using phase change materials. It seems like you have already done some research and have some concerns about the heating element you plan to use.

In terms of heating elements, there are a few options you can consider. First, you may want to look into using a ceramic heating element instead of a light bulb or fan heater. Ceramic heating elements are designed to heat up quickly and evenly, making them a good option for your experiment. Additionally, they are often more energy efficient and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional heating elements.

Another option to consider is using a heating mat or tape. These can be placed on the walls of your insulated box and provide a more even distribution of heat compared to a single heating element. They also have the added benefit of being able to regulate the temperature more precisely.

As for your concern about the fan heater causing inaccurate temperature readings, you could try using a separate thermometer to monitor the air temperature and compare it to the readings from the fan heater. This can help you determine if the fan is causing any significant discrepancies.

In terms of fire risk, it is always important to take precautions when conducting experiments involving heat. Make sure to closely monitor the temperature and have a fire extinguisher nearby, just in case. You can also consider using a temperature controller to regulate the heat output and prevent the heating element from overheating.

I hope this information helps you in your project. Good luck with your experiments!

Related to Heating Elements for Experiments

1. What is a heating element?

A heating element is a device used to convert electrical energy into heat energy. It is typically made of a conductive material, such as metal, and is used in a variety of experiments to provide controlled heating.

2. What types of heating elements are commonly used in experiments?

The most common types of heating elements used in experiments are resistive heating elements, which use the resistance of a material to generate heat, and induction heating elements, which use electromagnetic induction to generate heat.

3. How do I choose the right heating element for my experiment?

The type of heating element you choose will depend on several factors, including the temperature range required, the type of material being heated, and the power source available. It is best to consult with an experienced scientist or engineer for guidance in selecting the appropriate heating element for your specific experiment.

4. Are there safety precautions I should take when using heating elements in experiments?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when using heating elements in experiments. Make sure to read and follow all instructions and warnings provided by the manufacturer. Wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling hot heating elements, and always unplug them when not in use to prevent electrical hazards.

5. How do I maintain and clean a heating element?

To maintain a heating element, make sure to regularly check for any signs of wear or damage. Clean the element with a soft cloth and mild soap if necessary. Avoid getting water on the element or using abrasive cleaners, as this can damage it. If the element is not functioning properly, it may need to be replaced.