Heat transferred into a closed system

In summary, the participants are discussing the use of the first law of thermodynamics to calculate the heat transferred into a system. They mention using the ideal gas law and the constant pressure and variable volume of the system. There is also a question about the internal energy of an ideal gas and the amount of work done for constant pressure.
Axe199
So i am making a simple demonstration of ideal gas law using a cylinder piston system, heating the system so the piston is pushed up, i wanted to calculate the heat transferred into the system, will it be Cp(Tf-Ti) or Cp(Tf-Ti)+ work done by the system ?

Science news on Phys.org
Axe199 said:
So i am making a simple demonstration of ideal gas law using a cylinder piston system, heating the system so the piston is pushed up, i wanted to calculate the heat transferred into the system, will it be Cp(Tf-Ti) or Cp(Tf-Ti)+ work done by the system ?
Using the first law of thermodynamics, how would you answer this question?

Chestermiller said:
Using the first law of thermodynamics, how would you answer this question?
well using the first law Q-W=ΔU, Q will equal to to ΔU+ W but i don't know how to calculate ΔU

abdo799 said:
well using the first law Q-W=ΔU, Q will equal to to ΔU+ W but i don't know how to calculate ΔU
For one mole of an ideal gas, ##\Delta U =C_v(T_f-T_i)##. Now what?

Chestermiller said:
For one mole of an ideal gas, ##\Delta U =C_v(T_f-T_i)##. Now what?
why use Cv not Cp the system has constant pressure and variable volume

abdo799 said:
why use Cv not Cp the system has constant pressure and variable volume
The internal energy of an ideal gas is (a) a function of temperature only or (b) a function of temperature and volume (per unit mass)?

For constant pressure, what is the amount of work that is done?

Last edited:

Related to Heat transferred into a closed system

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. This can happen through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. What is a closed system?

A closed system is a physical system that does not exchange matter with its surroundings, but can exchange energy. This means that no matter can enter or leave the system, but heat and work can be transferred in or out of the system.

3. How is heat transferred into a closed system?

Heat can be transferred into a closed system through conduction, convection, or radiation. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between two objects. In convection, heat is transferred through the movement of fluids. In radiation, heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of heat transfer into a closed system, the first law of thermodynamics would be applied as the total amount of energy in the system (including heat) remains constant.

5. What factors affect the amount of heat transferred into a closed system?

The amount of heat transferred into a closed system can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the system and its surroundings, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, and the surface area available for heat transfer. Additionally, the presence of insulation or barriers can also impact the amount of heat transferred into the system.