Heat Transfer maximum current a wire can carry

In summary, the problem involves a copper wire with a diameter of 204.3 mil and a resistance per unit length of 8.31x10^-4 ohm/m. The wire is coated with plastic insulation with a thermal conductivity of 0.20 W/(m K) and an upper temperature limit of 400 K. The air surrounding the insulation is at 300 K with a heat transfer coefficient of 10 W/(m2 K). The objective is to find the maximum current that the wire can carry, which is approximately 200 A. To solve this problem, the critical radius of insulation, r_critical, is needed, which is equal to the thermal conductivity divided by the heat transfer coefficient. The thickness of the
Rick2015

Homework Statement

A copper wire has a diameter of 204.3 mil (1 mil = 0.001 in) and a resistance per unit length of 8.31x10^-4 ohm/m. The wire is coated with plastic insulation with thermal conductivity k = 0.20 W/(m K). The upper temperature limit of the plastic is 400 K. The air surrounding the insulation is at 300 K with heat transfer coefficient h = 10 W/(m2 K).
Find the maximum current (A) that the wire can carry. Approximate answer: 200 A.

Homework Equations

r_cr = k/h A (using_r1) = 0.005m^2 k=0.2 w/mK T1 = 400K
q = hA(thetaT) A(using_r_cr) = .02m^2 h=10 w/m^2K Tinf = 300K

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been working on this problem for about an hour. I know that I need to use the critical insulation radius. I have solved for q" and for R using R= (ln(r/r1) / 2pi*r*h) + 1/(2pi*r*h)), but can figure out how to get the answer.
If someone can just give a starting point it would be very helpful.

ps. sorry the bad notation, I m new to the site!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the physics: why would the wire have an upper limit to the current it can carry?

To protect the circuit, right?!

No... protecting the circuit is not the reason there is a maximum current... its the reason we need to know about it. Think physics, not intent. What happens to the wire when a current goes through it?

It heats the wire. Friction is involved but to this problem it is not take in consideration. The length of the wire determine the current flow.

To solve this problem, you need to know the thickness of the insulation. If you don't know that, you will not be able to determine the maximum current consistent with a plastic insulation temperature less than 400K. Did you forget to mention the thickness of the insulation?

Chet

The wire heats up.
What determines the maximum the wire can heat up?

The thickness is the critical radius of insulation r_critical = k/h.

Heat = amp x volt

You mean the insulation thickness is r=k/h = 0.02m ?
Your equation for heat is incorrect... amp x volt (you mean current times voltage) because the units don't match. VI is power (Watts) while heat (Q) is energy (Joules).
But what we are interested is in the limiting case - what does the heat do to the wire? Why would there be a limit to that? What role does the insulation play in this process?
If you don't understand the physics you won't be able to use the equations properly.

Rick2015 said:
The thickness is the critical radius of insulation r_critical = k/h.

Heat = amp x volt
OK. What is the rate of radial heat flow rate Q per unit length of wire. given that the unknown current is I and the resistance of the wire is 8.31 x 10-4 ohms/meter? Your answer should be in W/m.

Chet

Related to Heat Transfer maximum current a wire can carry

1. What factors affect the maximum current a wire can carry?

The maximum current a wire can carry is affected by several factors, including the material of the wire, its diameter, length, and temperature. The type of insulation surrounding the wire can also play a role in determining its maximum current carrying capacity.

2. How is the maximum current a wire can carry calculated?

The maximum current a wire can carry is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) flowing through a wire is directly proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the wire. This can be expressed as I = V/R. Using this equation, the maximum current can be determined by knowing the wire's resistance and the voltage it will be subjected to.

3. Can the maximum current a wire can carry be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum current a wire can carry can be exceeded, but this can result in overheating and potential damage to the wire. This can be dangerous and should be avoided. It is important to choose a wire with a maximum current rating that is higher than the expected current to prevent exceeding its capacity.

4. How does temperature affect the maximum current a wire can carry?

Temperature can significantly impact the maximum current a wire can carry. As the temperature of a wire increases, its resistance also increases, causing it to have a lower maximum current carrying capacity. This is why it is important to choose a wire with a suitable temperature rating for the application it will be used in.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when dealing with maximum current in wires?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when dealing with the maximum current in wires. It is essential to choose wires with appropriate current ratings for the application, and to avoid exceeding their maximum capacity. Additionally, proper insulation and protection should be used to prevent potential hazards, such as overheating and electrical fires.