Heat transfer for a cold water dispensor.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of heat transfer equations and calculations for a project involving a water dispenser with a casing made of aluminum. The person is struggling with understanding how to factor in the "cold" being transferred and asks for clarification on which equations to use. It is determined that all the same equations can be used and the person is advised to calculate the thermal resistance of the container and set up a thermal-equivalent electrical circuit to solve the problem. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the assistance.
kgmilano
good afternoon

i have a project to build a water dispenser. I'm strugling with heat transfer equations since it's cold that is being transfered. do i use the standard heat transfer equations even for cold? which equations do i use. water will be inside a 100x100x150 (1.5 litres) casing made out of aluminium.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any heat transfer problem comes down to the transfer of heat. "Cold" is not a physical manifestation in heat transfer; there is only the absence of heat.

So yes, you use all the same equations.

thank you for the help. it's highly appreciated. I'm able to calculate the amount of heat to be exracted in order to decrease water from 25 deg to 0 deg and the time it takes. but i don't know how to calculate the time with the aluminuim as the container.

You'll have to calculate the thermal resistance of your aluminum container, and then set up a thermal-equivalent electrical circuit to solve the transient problem.

for reaching out! Heat transfer equations can definitely be a bit tricky, especially when dealing with cold temperatures. In this case, you can still use the standard heat transfer equations, but you will need to consider the fact that you are transferring cold instead of heat. This means that the direction of heat flow will be reversed, with the cold water transferring heat to the surrounding environment.

To determine the specific equations you will need to use, it will depend on the specific design and materials of your water dispenser. In general, for a cold water dispenser, you will need to consider conduction, convection, and possibly radiation as well. Conduction refers to heat transfer through a solid material, so you will need to consider the thermal conductivity of the aluminium casing. Convection refers to heat transfer through a fluid, so you will need to consider the flow of the cold water and how it interacts with the surrounding air. Radiation refers to heat transfer through electromagnetic waves, and may only need to be considered if your dispenser has a glass or clear plastic component.

Overall, it's important to carefully consider all factors and gather data on the materials and design of your dispenser in order to accurately calculate heat transfer. If you are struggling, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or do some additional research on heat transfer equations specific to cold temperatures. Good luck with your project!

Related to Heat transfer for a cold water dispensor.

1. How does heat transfer work in a cold water dispenser?

Heat transfer in a cold water dispenser occurs when the cold water inside the dispenser comes into contact with warmer air outside. The heat from the air is transferred to the cold water, causing it to warm up. This process is known as conduction.

2. Why is heat transfer important in a cold water dispenser?

Heat transfer is important in a cold water dispenser because it allows the water to maintain its cool temperature. Without heat transfer, the water would eventually reach room temperature and no longer be refreshing to drink.

3. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer in a cold water dispenser?

The rate of heat transfer in a cold water dispenser can be affected by factors such as the temperature difference between the water and the air, the surface area of the dispenser, and the material the dispenser is made of.

4. How can I increase the efficiency of heat transfer in my cold water dispenser?

To increase the efficiency of heat transfer in a cold water dispenser, you can use materials with higher thermal conductivity, such as metal, for the dispenser. You can also try to minimize the temperature difference between the water and the air by keeping the dispenser in a cool environment.

5. Can heat transfer in a cold water dispenser be reversed?

Yes, heat transfer in a cold water dispenser can be reversed. This can occur when the dispenser is placed in a colder environment, causing the water to absorb heat from the air and become colder. However, this process is not as efficient as the initial heat transfer and may take longer to cool the water.