Heat Transfer and Temperature Equilibrium in a Mixed Substance System

In summary: Qloss silver)=Qgained of water=Qgainedofcalirmiter-(mcdeltat)=mcdeltat+mcdeltat-(181.8181g(.214cal/gc)(tf-98.8c)=(136.3636g(1cal)(tf-21.0c)+(45.454545g)(.0917cal/gc)(tf-21.0c)The heat lost by the Hg is 136.3636g of silver.
balllla

Homework Statement

A .4lb piece of Hg at 210 F is placed in .3lb of water that has a temperature of 70.0f. The water is in .1lb brass calorimeter.

What is the final temperature of the mixture?

Homework Equations

Q=MC(deltaT)

The Attempt at a Solution

The part that I'm confused from is.

Qlost=Qgained
What is the final and initial temperature of the silver?
I can't figure that out from the problem, would the final temperature of the silver be 70.0degreeS?

Physics news on Phys.org
balllla said:
Qlost=Qgained
What is the final and initial temperature of the silver?
I can't figure that out from the problem, would the final temperature of the silver be 70.0degreeS?

The heat lost by the Hg = heat gained by the water + heat gained by the calorimeter

Initially, the water and calorimeter should be at the same temperature.

So can you formulate an expression for the given terms?

I cannot formulate an expression for the given terms. I've completed algebra, adv. algebra and now I am precalc and I just can't figure out the algebra to complete this practice problem.

balllla said:
I cannot formulate an expression for the given terms. I've completed algebra, adv. algebra and now I am precalc and I just can't figure out the algebra to complete this practice problem.

Let's call the final temperature Tf

using Q=McΔT

What is the heat lost from the Hg?

Well I understand that -(Qloss)=Qgained and you need to get all variables to one side and other numbers on the other side, this is what i have done but I'm stuck

-(Qloss)=Qgained
-(Qloss silver)=Qgained of water=Qgainedofcalirmiter
-(mcdeltat)=mcdeltat+mcdeltat
-(181.8181g(.214cal/gc)(tf-98.8c)=(136.3636g(1cal)(tf-21.0c)+(45.454545g)(.0917cal/gc)(tf-21.0c)

okay this is what I have now I do not understand the algebra. ?

Can you expand the brackets and then move all the Tf to one side?

Related to Heat Transfer and Temperature Equilibrium in a Mixed Substance System

1. What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is an important property of a substance as it helps determine how much heat energy is needed to change its temperature, which is crucial for various industrial and scientific applications.

2. How is specific heat calculated?

Specific heat is calculated by dividing the amount of heat transferred by the mass of the substance and the change in temperature. The formula for specific heat is: c = Q / (m * ΔT), where c is the specific heat, Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What are the units for specific heat?

The units for specific heat are usually joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g·°C) in the SI system, or calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g·°C) in the traditional metric system.

4. How does specific heat differ for different substances?

The specific heat of a substance depends on its molecular structure, which determines how much energy is needed to change its temperature. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces, such as water, have a higher specific heat compared to substances with weaker intermolecular forces, such as metals.

5. How is specific heat used in real-world applications?

Specific heat is used in various applications, such as cooking, HVAC systems, and thermal energy storage. It is also used in industries like metallurgy and chemistry to determine the amount of heat needed for different processes. In environmental science, specific heat is used to understand the impact of substances on the Earth's climate and weather patterns.