Heat of solution and vapor pressure

In summary: A positive heat of solution = a positive enthalpy of solution = an endothermic reaction = weaker bonds = higher vapor pressure. In summary, negative heat of solution forms stronger bonds, resulting in lower vapor pressure, while positive heat of solution forms weaker bonds, resulting in higher vapor pressure. This is due to the affinity of water molecules for added ions, causing them to form shells around the ions and reducing the number of molecules able to escape the surface.
silversurf
I am having trouble with the relationship between these two. My book says that negative heat of solution forms stronger bonds and lowers vapor pressure and positive heat of solution forms weaker bonds and raises vapor pressure. Shouldn't vapor pressure be higher for negative heat of solution because you need more energy to break up the stronger bonds? And lower vapor pressure of for positive heat of solution because you are breaking up weaker bonds?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dear Silversurf,

Let me try to follow you. A positive heat of solution would be when one adds salt to water or acid to water and observes heat being generated. The explanation is that water has more affinity for the added ions than they do for each other and heat, I guess measured as in Gibbs free energy, is due to the strong ionic bonds being formed as polar water molecules orient themselves around both positive and negative ions. This explanation would suggest and predict a lower vapor pressure for water as now more water molecules would be attached in shells around the ions and be less able to escape the surface. I guess I agree with you...

Likes 1 person
silversurf said:
I am having trouble with the relationship between these two. My book says that negative heat of solution forms stronger bonds and lowers vapor pressure and positive heat of solution forms weaker bonds and raises vapor pressure.

This is correct and you both are having problems with definitions: A negative heat of solution =
a negative enthalpy of solution = an exothermic reaction = stronger bonds = lower vapor pressure.

Likes 1 person

Related to Heat of solution and vapor pressure

1. What is the heat of solution?

The heat of solution is the amount of heat released or absorbed when a substance dissolves in a solvent.

2. How is the heat of solution measured?

The heat of solution is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) using a calorimeter.

3. What factors affect the heat of solution?

The heat of solution is affected by the nature of the solute and solvent, concentration of the solution, temperature, and pressure. It also depends on whether the dissolution process is exothermic (heat released) or endothermic (heat absorbed).

4. How does vapor pressure relate to the heat of solution?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by the vapor of a substance in equilibrium with its liquid phase. The heat of solution can affect the vapor pressure of a solution, as a higher heat of solution typically leads to a lower vapor pressure due to the increased number of solute particles in the solution.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding heat of solution and vapor pressure?

Understanding heat of solution and vapor pressure is important in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, and chemical manufacturing. It can also be useful in predicting the solubility of substances and determining the best conditions for a solution to form. Additionally, it is crucial in understanding the effects of temperature and pressure changes on the properties of a solution.