Heat Flow Through Rock Layers Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate heat flow through different layers of sandstone and shale, using the equation q = -k (dT/dY). The participants also address a mistake in converting the change in temperature to Kelvin and clarify that delta T in degrees K is the same as delta T in degrees C. After some calculations, they reach a consensus on the correct heat flow values for each layer.
Nexttime35

Homework Statement

The problem is here:
86BTnXI.png

Homework Equations

q = heat flow
k = thermal conductivity
q = -k (dT/dY)

The Attempt at a Solution

While this is quite an easy question, I just want to verify that I'm doing it correctly. Would it be correct to begin at the bottom of the rock layer, since heat flow will migrate away from the source, which is at depth? So, for bottom layer of sandstone, q = - 5.3[ (274.266 / (465-412) ] = 27.4 Wm-2, where dT comes from converting the change in temperature (in celcius) to Kelvin.

Then I move on to the middle shale layer: q = - 1.7 [ (273.609 / (412-402)] = -46.5 W/m2 .

However, I am confused how the previous heat flow will affect the heat flow above it. Again, it's an easy question, but I'm hung up on something...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those delta T's are way off. Try again.

Chet

Put the decimal in the wrong spot. Oops. What about that?

Nexttime35 said:
Put the decimal in the wrong spot. Oops. What about that?
You are aware that ##\Delta T## in degrees K is exactly the same as ##\Delta T## in degrees C, correct?

Chet

However, I am confused how the previous heat flow will affect the heat flow above it.

Don't worry about that just yet. Calculate the heat flow through each layer. If they are the same or similar then there isn't really a problem.

What Chet said. Your thinking about delta T is wrong.

CWatters said:
Don't worry about that just yet. Calculate the heat flow through each layer. If they are the same or similar then there isn't really a problem.

What Chet said. Your thinking about delta T is wrong.

OK. I am definitely overthinking this problem. I calculated the heat flow from the bottom layer through to the top layer:
Sandstone: -100 mW/m^2
Shale: -78.03 mW/m^2
Sandstone: 74.03 mW/m^2

Thanks for the help!

Nexttime35 said:
OK. I am definitely overthinking this problem. I calculated the heat flow from the bottom layer through to the top layer:
Sandstone: -100 mW/m^2
Shale: -78.03 mW/m^2
Sandstone: 74.03 mW/m^2

Thanks for the help!
That's not what I get. I get a positive upward heat flux for all three layers. For the order of the layers shown in the table,

Sandstone: 74.04 mW/m^2
Shale: 78.03 mW/m^2
Sandstone: 111.6 mW/m^2

Chet

Related to Heat Flow Through Rock Layers Problem

What is the "Heat Flow Through Rock Layers Problem"?

The "Heat Flow Through Rock Layers Problem" is a scientific concept that refers to the transfer of heat through different layers of rocks or sediments in the Earth's crust. This phenomenon is important in understanding the thermal evolution of the Earth and the distribution of geothermal energy resources.

What factors affect heat flow through rock layers?

The main factors that affect heat flow through rock layers include the thermal properties of the rocks, such as thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and density, as well as the temperature gradient across the layers. Other factors such as the presence of fluids, geologic structures, and heat production from radioactive decay also play a role in determining the heat flow.

How is heat flow through rock layers measured?

Heat flow through rock layers is typically measured using temperature data collected from boreholes drilled into the Earth's crust. Specialized instruments called heat flow meters are used to measure the temperature gradient and thermal properties of the rocks, which can then be used to calculate the heat flow.

Why is understanding heat flow through rock layers important?

Understanding heat flow through rock layers is important for several reasons. It helps us to understand the Earth's thermal history and how it has evolved over time. It also provides valuable information for industries such as geothermal energy, mineral exploration, and oil and gas production. Additionally, heat flow through rock layers plays a crucial role in many geological processes, such as the formation of mountains and volcanoes.

How does heat flow through rock layers impact our daily lives?

Heat flow through rock layers has a significant impact on our daily lives, even if we may not realize it. It is responsible for the Earth's geothermal energy resources, which are used for heating, cooling, and electricity generation. It also plays a role in the formation of natural resources, such as oil and gas deposits. Understanding heat flow through rock layers can also help us to better predict and mitigate geological hazards, such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.