What is the energy lost due to friction?

In summary, the problem involves a sledge being pulled at constant speed by a rope on a horizontal surface. The rope is inclined at 20° and the sledge has a mass of 18.0 kg with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.500. The tension of the rope needs to be calculated, as well as the work done by the rope and the energy lost due to friction. The first answer is incorrect because the vertical component of tension was not considered in the calculation. The correct value for tension is 79.4, found using tangent.
tristan_fc
Okay, I have this problem I've been fighting with for a couple of hours now. I have the answers for it, but I can't figure out how they're the answers. Here's the problem:

A sledge loaded with bricks has a total mass of 18.0 kg and is pulled at constant speed by a rope. The rope is inclined at 20° above the horizontal, and the sledge moves a distance of 20.0 m on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sledge and surface is 0.500.

A) What is the tension of the rope?

B) How much work is done on the sledge by the rope?

c) What is the energy lost due to friction?

If I got the first answer right, I could do the rest, but that's where I'm stuck. I know I need to find the x-component of the tension, and then use trig to find the tension of the rope. What I did was this:

Tx = 0.5*18*9.8 = 88.2

That's wrong. I know it's wrong, because the tension I found with that value was approx. 82.9. The answer is supposed to be 79.4. I know it's wrong, because I'm not considering the y-component of tension, but I don't know how to do that. Anybody have any ideas? This is a web-based assignment, due by midnight central time. (4 hours)Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's wrong because you forgot that the normal force is reduced by the vertical component of the tension.

Is that enough to get you started again?

Well that's what I said.

I figured it out though. I remembered that you have to use tangent. Thanks though. :)

Related to What is the energy lost due to friction?

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects and is present in all forms of motion.

2. How does friction affect energy?

Friction causes energy to be lost in the form of heat. When objects rub against each other, the molecules on their surfaces collide and release heat energy, resulting in a decrease in the overall energy of the system.

3. How is the energy lost due to friction calculated?

The energy lost due to friction can be calculated using the formula E = μFnd, where E is the energy lost, μ is the coefficient of friction, Fn is the normal force, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

4. Can friction be beneficial?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, it allows us to walk without slipping, helps cars stop when brakes are applied, and enables us to write with a pen. However, it can also be a hindrance in other situations, such as reducing the efficiency of machines.

5. How can friction be reduced to conserve energy?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Additionally, using smoother materials and reducing the amount of force applied can also help reduce friction and conserve energy.