Heat engine- calculating minimum energy per cycle from hot reservoir

In summary, the heat engine must extract energy from the hot reservoir in order to achieve 3000J of work per cycle.
twinklestar28

Homework Statement

A heat engine operating between freezing and boling points of water takes 20 cycles to raise a mass of 1000kg through a height of 3m. Calculate the minimum energy per cycle that must be extracted from the hot reservoir in order to achieve this.

Homework Equations

η=1-Tc/Th
η=W/Qh
P.E=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the acceleration woas 9.81m/s^2 so I got 2943J for the Work done and then divided by 20 to get the energy for one cycle to get 147.15J. Plugging into the equation i got Qh= 525.5J which doesn't seem to sound right considering the question is worth 4 marks.Can i assume that the GPE of the mass is the work done or is there more to it? Do I need to include Qc in the work done (WD=Qh-Qc)?
Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
That's what I'd have done ... though I'd have explicitly stated the assumption of a Carnot cycle. I suppose I can see four marks in there: 1 each for the three ideas represented by the equations, and 1 for getting the math right. But then I tend to give whole marks for things.

note ...
mgh = (1000kg)(9.81N/kg)(3m) = 29430J ... 10x what you got?

Sometimes 4 marks questions are by far the simplest questions of the paper. I am in 12th grade, and I am like

"Derive Mayer's Equation" - 3 marks (which takes a whole page if you aim to get full marks)

and solving an itty bitty question USING Mayer's Formula, not even two lines' length - 5 marks.
And they say we have superpower solving half the paper in last 10 minutes.

As someone who writes exams...
A lot depends on what the person who wrote the marking schedule thinks about what you will find easy and what you should be rewarded for knowing/doing.

eg. deriving Mayer's relation should take about a dozen or so lines and comes in three parts, and is probably not as important as being able to apply it. Especially if the derivation was demonstrated in class and you were expected to memorize it. It'd be worth more if it were given, cold, in an assignment.

So that sort of thing makes sense to me ;)

Hi Simon

Sorry the mass is actually 100kg! not 1000kg so the energy would be 2943J but I am not sure if I should divide by 20 to get 147.15J per cycle before I plug it into the equation, should I plug in 2943J or 147.15J as the work done or should i divide by 20 after?

Does it matter?

No it doesn't i was overthinking it i didnt check to see if its the same thing, sorry! thanks for the help :)

In general - the same work may not be done on every cycle.
In which case, calculating the total work and dividing gives you the mean work per cycle.
Which is why I did it that way :) covers my ***.

[edit]
<sigh> bits wot benefit from cover... donkey!

What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical energy. It typically involves a working fluid being heated and expanding, causing a piston or turbine to move and do work.

How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by taking in heat from a hot reservoir and using it to do work. The working fluid is typically cycled through a series of stages, such as compression, heat addition, expansion, and heat rejection, to convert the heat energy into mechanical energy.

What is the minimum energy per cycle for a heat engine?

The minimum energy per cycle for a heat engine is determined by the laws of thermodynamics and is known as the Carnot efficiency. It is given by the ratio of the difference in temperature between the hot and cold reservoirs to the temperature of the hot reservoir.

How do you calculate the minimum energy per cycle for a heat engine?

The minimum energy per cycle for a heat engine can be calculated using the Carnot efficiency formula: efficiency = (Th - Tc) / Th, where Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir and Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir. This efficiency can then be multiplied by the heat input from the hot reservoir to get the minimum energy per cycle.

What factors affect the minimum energy per cycle for a heat engine?

The minimum energy per cycle for a heat engine is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of working fluid used, and the design and efficiency of the engine itself.