Heat energy from a charged configuration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two spherical metallic shells with different radii and charges. The goal is to calculate the heat that is released when the outer shell is grounded with a thread of resistance R. The solution involves using Gauss' law to find the electric field outside the outer shell and calculating the change in potential when the outer shell is grounded. This results in a formula for the heat released, which is independent of the resistance R. The conversation also explores another approach to solving the problem, which yields the same result.
alivedude

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have two spherical metallic shells with radius ##3a## and ##a##, the little one is placed inside the larger so that the center of the little one is at a distance of ##a## from the center of the larger. The outer one has a charge ##3Q## and the one inside has a charge of ##Q## (both are positive).

Now if we are grounding the outher shell with a thread that has a resistance R some energy will be released as heat, calculate the heat!

Homework Equations

[/B]
This is the problem

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The problem is 15 years old and in the solution they are referring to some litterature that we don't use today so I got the answer itself but no solution to follow.

This is my thoughts so far:

When we set this configuration up we are storing some energy in the electric field. This energi can be calculated as

##
W = \frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_{
{\rm I\!R}^3} ( E_1^2 + E_2^2 + 2\textbf{E}_1 \cdot \textbf{E}_2 ) dV
##

and when we are grounding the outher shell, all of these should be released somehow, isn't it all heat then? Is the ##R## only there to confuse me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea about integrating the square of the field to get the stored electric energy. And, yes, |ΔW| will equal the heat.

Can you sketch (qualitatively) the electric field lines everywhere for the case before the outer sphere is grounded and for the case after the outer sphere is grounded? This will help you see how to set up the integral for |ΔW|.

TSny said:
You have the right idea about integrating the square of the field to get the stored electric energy. And, yes, |ΔW| will equal the heat.

Can you sketch (qualitatively) the electric field lines everywhere for the case before the outer sphere is grounded and for the case after the outer sphere is grounded? This will help you see how to set up the integral for |ΔW|.

I can't make any sketch at this moment, I don't have any program on this device. But I calculated ##W## and got ##W= \frac{2 Q^2}{3 \pi \epsilon_0 a}## and this agrees with the answer. So if I haven't done any mistakes I guess that the take-away from this problem is that all of the energy stored in the field will equal the heat and its independent of the resistance, correct?

Not all of the energy stored in the field is converted to heat. After the outer shell is grounded, there will still be some electric field energy left in the system. The heat produced is the difference Winitial - Wfinal.

Ok I gave up pretty quickly and tried to do it all in another way and while I was doing it I realized something. Is the formula I stated above really true for conducting shells, like we have in these problems? Because the field is zero inside the conductors and if we are standing outside the whole thing we would have no clue about where the electric charge inside is located, we would only knew that the outer shell is charged with ##4Q##. It might be true even for this case but I couldn't get it right, would be really happy if someone could sort it out.

Anyway I solved the problem like this instead:

Gauss told me that the electric field outside is
##
E(r)=\frac{Q}{\pi \epsilon_0 r^2}
##
and for the potential we have

##
V(3a) = V(\infty)+\int_{ra}^{\infty} \textbf{E} \cdot d\textbf{l} = \frac{Q}{3\pi \epsilon_0 a}
##
Now if we ground the outer sphere the potential on the inner sphere will decrease by ##V(3a)## and we can calculate the heat like

##
W_{Heat} = W_i-W_f = \frac{1}{2}3Q\frac{Q}{3\pi\epsilon_0a}+\frac{1}{2}V_{inside}Q-\left[0+\frac{1}{2}(V_{inside}-\frac{Q}{3\pi\epsilon_0a})Q \right] = \frac{2}{3}\frac{Q^2}{\pi \epsilon_0 a}
##

And this should be correct, at least it is the same as the answer in my papers.

OK, that looks good. Note that your solution is based on knowing that the field outside the outer (ungrounded) shell is spherically symmetric so that you can use Gauss' law to find E outside the outer shell. Also, you have used the fact that grounding the outer shell does not change the electric field between the two shells.

So, the electric field energy ##\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int{E^2 dV}## between the two shells does not change when grounding the outer shell. Thus the loss of electric energy is due just to the loss of field outside the outer shell. You might see if you get the answer by doing the integral ##\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int{E^2 dV}## for the initial field outside the outer shell.

TSny said:
OK, that looks good. Note that your solution is based on knowing that the field outside the outer (ungrounded) shell is spherically symmetric so that you can use Gauss' law to find E outside the outer shell. Also, you have used the fact that grounding the outer shell does not change the electric field between the two shells.

So, the electric field energy ##\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int{E^2 dV}## between the two shells does not change when grounding the outer shell. Thus the loss of electric energy is due just to the loss of field outside the outer shell. You might see if you get the answer by doing the integral ##\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int{E^2 dV}## for the initial field outside the outer shell.

Oh yes, that's right! At least its solved now, thank you for your help :)

Related to Heat energy from a charged configuration

What is "heat energy from a charged configuration"?

Heat energy from a charged configuration refers to the transfer of thermal energy that occurs when charged particles are in a specific arrangement or configuration. This can happen through conduction, convection, or radiation.

How is heat energy from a charged configuration measured?

The amount of heat energy from a charged configuration is typically measured in joules (J) or calories (cal). It can also be measured in electron volts (eV) in the context of atomic or molecular systems.

What factors affect the amount of heat energy from a charged configuration?

The amount of heat energy from a charged configuration can be affected by various factors such as the type of charged particles involved, their charge and mass, the distance between them, and the type of medium they are in.

What are some real-life applications of heat energy from a charged configuration?

Some common applications of heat energy from a charged configuration include electric heating systems, thermoelectric generators, and nuclear power plants. It is also important in many natural processes, such as the formation of lightning and the movement of charged particles in the Earth's atmosphere.

What are the potential dangers of heat energy from a charged configuration?

Exposure to high levels of heat energy from a charged configuration can be dangerous and even fatal. It can cause burns, electric shock, and damage to electronic devices. Proper precautions should always be taken when working with or around charged configurations to avoid these dangers.