Heat diffusion equation solutions for semi-infinite slab

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a complex numbers problem involving heat flux and boundary conditions. The expert suggests a substitution for cos(wt) and mentions a reference for further help.
Hipp0

Homework Statement

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1082/clipboard01lx.jpg

Homework Equations

(see solution)

The Attempt at a Solution

I literary just spent 5 hours trying to apply those boundary conditions, trying exponentials, sines, cosines, hyperbolic function etc... I always get complex numbers in the final solution :( but it's not physical to get complex numbers there :(
Note: Aw and Bw are just constants (w is an index).

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4475/94889151.jpg
Any ideas where I went wrong? General solution seems fine, maybe I'm misunderstanding the boundary conditions? And in my final answer I tried expanding [tex]\sqrt{i}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}i[/tex] and then using cos(A+B) formula and writing the result using hyperbolic sines and cosines, but it's still complex :(
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Perhaps a substitution for cos(wt) (allow w = omega)

So now you have q = q(0) cos(wt) at the boundary, where q(0) is the amplitude of the heat flux and omega is the circular frequency.

Substitute q(0)R(e^iwt) where R = the real part for the original equation of q(0) = cos(wt).

I worked this problem out as it is given in Transport Phenomena by Bird Stewart and Lightfoot and they suggested this substitution. (Actually it is given as an example, but quite a few steps are missing.)

If you have already done that and I have overlooked it in your somewhat hard to follow layout above, I apologize.

I will have to dig my notes out on this one later this evening to really provide you with some help.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:

Related to Heat diffusion equation solutions for semi-infinite slab

1. What is the heat diffusion equation for a semi-infinite slab?

The heat diffusion equation for a semi-infinite slab is a mathematical model that describes the distribution of heat in a material over time, taking into account factors such as thermal conductivity, temperature, and boundary conditions.

2. How is the heat diffusion equation solved for a semi-infinite slab?

The heat diffusion equation for a semi-infinite slab can be solved using various analytical and numerical methods, such as separation of variables, Laplace transforms, and finite difference methods.

3. What are the boundary conditions for the heat diffusion equation in a semi-infinite slab?

The boundary conditions for the heat diffusion equation in a semi-infinite slab include the initial temperature distribution, thermal conductivity, and the temperature at the surface of the slab.

4. What are some real-world applications of the heat diffusion equation in semi-infinite slabs?

The heat diffusion equation in semi-infinite slabs has numerous practical applications, including predicting thermal behavior in building materials, analyzing heat transfer in geological processes, and understanding temperature distribution in electronic devices.

5. How do boundary conditions affect the solution of the heat diffusion equation in a semi-infinite slab?

The boundary conditions have a significant impact on the solution of the heat diffusion equation in a semi-infinite slab, as they determine the initial and boundary temperatures and affect the rate of heat transfer within the material.