Heat Death of the Universe: Is It Inevitable?

In summary, the conversation discusses different theories for the end of the universe, including the possibility of a Big Crunch and the more widely accepted theory of Heat Death. It is speculated that in Heat Death, the universe will continue to exist without any living beings or usable energy. However, these theories are largely speculative and will remain so until a comprehensive theory of Quantum Gravity is developed.
Nugso
Gold Member
Hello. I a few hours ago opened a new thread called "Big Crunch". But now that I've learn that it's not really possible for Big Crunch to happen, I also look for another possibilities. It looks like the best theory is Heat Death. It says that all stars will be dead the temperature will be the same within the universe. Does that mean the universe will still exist but without living beings? The universe will still exist albeit frozen? Or will it shrink and get smaller?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
But now that I've learn that it's not really possible for Big Crunch to happen

who said that??
It looks like the best theory is Heat Death.

It's just another possibility.

Does that mean the universe will still exist but without living beings? The universe will still exist albeit frozen? Or will it shrink and get smaller?

I already answered this in the other thread...in addition, it is a state of maximum entropy. So not even information can be processed.

Likes 1 person
Naty1 said:
who said that??

It's just another possibility.
I already answered this in the other thread...in addition, it is a state of maximum entropy. So not even information can be processed.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=63 I interpreted it as that.

What exactly did you mean by"... cold, dark and empty." Will it shrink until it becomes as how it was before the Big Bang? Or since the all matter, dark matter and dark energy are gone, it'll remain as how it is?(Bigger universe than the current one, but empty?)

Last edited by a moderator:
from the other discussion:

Up until the later 1990's, it was assumed that attractive gravity was slowing down the rate of expansion and that eventually it would either reach a steady state and just go on at a constant rate forever, or much more likely would reverse direction and [oops, should be 'or' contract in a Big Crunch.
So in terms already posted, our best measures show the value of Ω [omega] close to 1, very close to a flat universe. If it stays that way, expansion continues and the universe remains about flat and eventually becomes cold, dark and empty.

Expansion means cooling, contraction means heating...

Naty1 said:
from the other discussion:

Expansion means cooling, contraction means heating...

Oh, I beg your pardon for overlooking your post. ( I blame it on my English though). Thanks. By the way, sorry for being off-topic but is " The Last Three Minutes" by Paul Davies any good?

Oh, I beg your pardon for overlooking your post.

You are not alone. Happens all the time here. That's why I replied as I did earlier.

Its always a good idea to read replies carefully.

Heat death is when the universe reaches a state of max entropy, so that no energy is usable, it's just all basically heat energy. But by then the universe will have expanded to the point that energy will be extremely thinly spread.

All in all, theories concerning the end of the universe are largely speculation (which is why we have like 5 major one) until we have a comprehensive theory of Quantum Gravity (or theory of everything)

Related to Heat Death of the Universe: Is It Inevitable?

1. What is the "Heat Death of the Universe"?

The Heat Death of the Universe is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no more work can be done. This would result in a universe with no distinguishable sources of heat or energy, hence the term "Heat Death."

2. Is the Heat Death of the Universe inevitable?

According to current scientific understanding, yes, the Heat Death of the Universe is considered inevitable. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that entropy (or disorder) in a closed system will always increase over time. The universe is considered a closed system, so it is expected to eventually reach a state of maximum entropy.

3. When is the Heat Death of the Universe predicted to occur?

The exact timeline for the Heat Death of the Universe is currently unknown. Some theories suggest it could happen in tens of billions of years, while others propose it could take trillions of years. It is also possible that new discoveries or technologies could delay or prevent the Heat Death from occurring.

4. What would happen to life on Earth if the Heat Death of the Universe occurs?

If the Heat Death of the Universe does occur, it would likely mean the end of all life on Earth. As the universe reaches a state of maximum entropy, there would be no sources of energy left to sustain life. However, it is also possible that humans or other advanced civilizations could find ways to survive and adapt to the changing universe.

5. Can anything be done to prevent the Heat Death of the Universe?

At this point, there is no known way to prevent the Heat Death of the Universe. However, scientists are constantly exploring new theories and technologies that could potentially delay or even reverse the effects of entropy. Some theories propose the idea of a "Big Crunch," where the universe collapses in on itself and restarts the cycle of expansion and contraction. But for now, the Heat Death of the Universe remains an inevitable event in the distant future.