Heat & Cold: Atomic Level & Beyond

• Thread starter Osviux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold Heat
In summary: Atomic scale, it's the vibration of the particles in the system. An object feels hot because when you are in contact with the system, heat is conducted from the system to your hand, and vice versa for the cold, to achieve thermal equilibrium. This is the main point of the conversation and is what is being explained. Objects that have a higher thermal energy (heat) will cause your skin to feel hot. Objects that have a lower thermal energy will cause your skin to feel cold.
Osviux
What is heat and cold in the atomic scale? Why do things sometimes feel hot and sometimes cold?

Science news on Phys.org
Heat is the amount of thermal energy a system has. Cold just means that a system has lesser thermal energy as compared to a reference system.
Atomic scale, it's the vibration of the particles in the system. An object feels hot because when you are in contact with the system, heat is conducted from the system to your hand, and vice versa for the cold, to achieve thermal equilibrium.

This is just a very simplistic understanding of hot and cold.

yeah just like thunder said, temperature is just how fast something is vibrating. The faster an atom or molecule vibrates/moves, the hotter it is, as the vibrations get slower, it gets closer. If you stop all motion then you get the temp down to absolute zero (0 K)

basically a way to measure how fast something is moving.
since hot and cold are subjective terms
hot = fast compared to you
cold = slow compared to you

Heat is the flow of thermal energy from one body to another. Objects feel hot or cold depending on how fast heat is transferring between the objects. The rate of heat flow is determined by both the temperature difference and the thermal conductivity between the two objects. For example, touching a steel pole at 32 F will feel colder than a wooden pole at 32F.

Routaran said:
temperature is just how fast something is vibrating.

Not entirely. For atmospheric gases at the temperatures normally encountered in the atmosphere, gas temperatures are purely a function of the kinetic energy of translation. They are almost entirely independent of molecular vibrations and other internal energies.

QuantumPion said:
For example, touching a steel pole at 32 F will feel colder than a wooden pole at 32F.

Yes, but they are at exactly the same temperature. I believe that in Physics, temperature is an objective phenomenon, not a subjective one.

In fairness, in the field of physiological climatology we do deal with subjective temperatures. However, we take pains to point out that these "sensible" temperatures are purely in the mind and do not exist in the environment.

Osviux said:
What is heat and cold in the atomic scale? Why do things sometimes feel hot and sometimes cold?

There are two concepts here. What is heat, (and by extension cold) and Why do we feel hot and cold.

Heat has been described here already so I'll avoid repeating that.

I THINK this is an accurate description, but I could be wrong.

The reason things feel hot and cold is that our nerves that tell us that depend on heat transfer to determine how hot or cold something is. For example, if I go outside in the cold 30 degree weather with no gloves on, when I come back inside I can turn on the cold water tap in my sink and the water will feel WARM to my hand. Why is this? Because at that point the temperature of the skin on my hand is colder than the water is. There is heat being transferred from the water and into my hand.

Similarly coming into my house from outside where it is 105 degrees or so, and into the 78 degree AC feels MUCH colder than 78 degrees would feel if I had been in my house for a few hours.

Now, none of this brings core body temperature into the issue. We are merely talking about the temperature of your skin. Your skin can easily be much colder or warmer than your core temperature without danger.

Related to Heat & Cold: Atomic Level & Beyond

1. What is the atomic level explanation for heat and cold?

At the atomic level, heat is the result of the movement of atoms and molecules. When atoms and molecules move faster, they have higher kinetic energy and therefore create heat. Cold, on the other hand, is the absence of heat or the slowing down of atomic movement.

2. How does heat transfer occur at the atomic level?

Heat can be transferred at the atomic level through three main processes: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between atoms, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and atomic movement?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of atoms and molecules in a substance. As the temperature increases, the atomic movement also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, atoms and molecules have more energy to move and vibrate.

4. How do materials respond to heat and cold at the atomic level?

Materials respond differently to heat and cold depending on their atomic structure. Some materials, such as metals, have more free-moving electrons that can easily transfer heat, while others, like insulators, have a more rigid atomic structure that makes it difficult for heat to pass through. Cold can also affect materials by causing them to contract or expand at the atomic level.

5. Can heat and cold be controlled at the atomic level?

Yes, heat and cold can be controlled at the atomic level through various methods such as insulation, temperature regulation, and heat transfer techniques. Scientists can also manipulate the atomic structure of materials to control their response to heat and cold, making it possible to create materials with specific thermal properties.